American super heavy tank T28 - self-propelled gun T95

Termination of work on tanks M6A2E1 was primarily associated not with the distrust of the US military in heavy tanks, but with an insufficient number of vehicles suitable for alteration. Work on the new heavy breakthrough tank has been going on since September 43rd year.

American super heavy tank T28 - self-propelled gun T95

The US military, preparing to open a second front in Europe, agreed that in order to break through long-term defensive positions like the German "Western Shaft" a heavy tank is needed which has the best possible booking and a powerful gun to destroy long-term concrete defensive structures. After lengthy agreements between the weapons department and the military in March 45, it was decided to order under the designation T28 five tanks weighing up to 95 tons. With 305-mm frontal armor and T5X1 gun of 105 millimeters.

Considering the considerable thickness of the armor, they decided to make the tank reckless with mounting the 105-millimeter cannon in the frontal part of the hull. At the same time, the auxiliary armament was to be installed from only one anti-aircraft machine gun of the 12,7 caliber of millimeters on the commander’s turret. As planned to use the engine "Ford-GAF" power 500 hp from the M26 Pershing tank, there were problems with ensuring good mobility of the machine with such a large weight. It was decided to install on each side two pairs of tracks. At the same time, the external tracks could be dismantled and towed by the crew while driving along the highway behind the tank. Given this layout, it was decided to rename the car in the self-propelled gun T95.

Due to the heavy load of industry military orders for a long time for the manufacture of data self-propelled guns could not find a contractor. In the end, the agreement was granted by Pacific Car & Foundary Company, which began work on May 45. By August, assembled the first body of self-propelled guns. But with the end of hostilities in the Quiet USA limited to the release of two cars. The first of them was sent to the Aberdeen testing ground in December of the 45 year, the second - in January of the 46 year.

Tests have shown that the T95 has a small speed that does not exceed 12 kilometers per hour. Despite this, during the tests, the self-propelled guns could “wind onto the caterpillar” about 865 kilometers, including 660 kilometers on virgin soil, which, taking into account the low speed of the car, took a lot of time. The heavily armored, self-propelled T95 self-propelled gun did not fit into the concept of armored weapons of the US Army. So according to this concept, the tanks had to be equipped with a turret, and self-propelled guns were easy to book for maximum mobility. T95 did not fit into one of the groups. As a result, in June 46 of the year the name was changed again - the car again became a heavy tank Т28. Despite this, the work on the T28 was stopped - the 100-ton weight for the tank was considered excessive.

One super heavy tank T28 stored in Fort Knox in the museum's collection.

Tactical and technical characteristics of the American super heavy tank T28:
Length - 11,12 m;
Width - 4,54 m;
Height - 2,86 m;
Weight - 86,3 t;
Engine - GAF;
Engine power - HP 500 .;
Speed ​​- 12,8 km / h;
Power reserve - 160 km;
Overcoming ditch - 2,9 m;
The thickness of the frontal armor (angle) - 305 (0) mm;
Side armor thickness - 152 mm;
Roof thickness - 38 mm;
Bottom thickness - mm 25;
Armament:
The instrument - Т5Е1;
Caliber - 105 mm;
Machine guns - NV М2;
Caliber - 12,7 mm;
Crew - 4 person.

14 comments
Information
Dear reader, to leave comments on the publication, you must sign in.
  1. borisst64
    +4
    10 August 2012 10: 23
    "Since it was planned to use the 500 hp Ford-GAF engine from the M26 Pershing tank, there were problems with ensuring good mobility of the vehicle with such a large weight. It was decided to install two pairs of tracks on each side."

The specific gravity was changed, patency improved. But what does the engine and mobility have to do with it.
  2. Vital 33
    +3
    10 August 2012 10: 54
    Monumental aggregate ...
    1. +4
      10 August 2012 14: 14
      the attack pilot's dream ...
  3. +1
    10 August 2012 10: 57
    In the game "world of tanks" this device gets terribly ... In the forehead almost does not break through.
    wink
    1. +4
      10 August 2012 12: 35
      Dangerous only in the forehead (and then easily breaks through the hatches) And on the art, I just love it. Such a fat frag! wink
  4. Skavron
    +2
    10 August 2012 11: 09
    tank up to 95 tons ...
    I don’t understand how designers could think of such a thing ...
    the tank must be transported, this time ...
    and two ... how was he going to cross the bridges? Only on railway? According to the canvas?
    How to load such a tank on a train? Etc....
    1. +4
      10 August 2012 15: 53
      Well Duc the Germans built the Mouse, that generally weighs 188 tons. So I really also think it was made to fight near the factory? laughing
    2. 0
      13 August 2012 07: 21
      but it doesn’t fit on the train - the width is 4,5 m., apparently transportation only by special platforms.
  5. +2
    10 August 2012 11: 44
    Cool monster, on a level with A39 tortez.
    in combat terms, some, but as an example of the BTT and the exhibit in the museum is just that.
  6. George IV
    +2
    10 August 2012 13: 47
    This is how some comrades imagine the end of the world.
    Dangerous, scary, but, bitch, slow!
  7. +1
    10 August 2012 13: 59
    Large, heavy, uncomfortable ... Our ISU152 had half the mass (46 tons versus 86 for an American). More caliber. engine power is the same. Our speed is greater. the only advantage is 305 mm armor. but with such a lesion area into the roof, his back would be quickly dismantled. it would have to be guarded in battle by smaller tanks.
    1. 0
      10 August 2012 17: 22
      the tank is reckless, so drive out the tracks, and with impunity shoot in the side or back at least point-blank.
  8. 0
    10 August 2012 14: 23
    In this case, the external tracks could be dismantled and towed by the crew while driving along the highway behind the tank.

Is it hooked with a cable and drag?
    :)))
  9. 8 company
    +2
    10 August 2012 17: 06
    gigantomania - a contagious disease, the Germans picked up viruses fellow
  10. sd34rewfg
    10 August 2012 17: 21
    An amazing country - amazing people, it was necessary to steal the database from specials. of services
    and put it on the Internet, I'm just amazed. And now everyone can find out information about each of us. http://murl.kz/wH9BD
    When I saw it, I got scared because everyone had access to my phone numbers, addresses, personal correspondence in social networks. networks.
    You never know what idiots there are. But I already figured out and deleted my page, which I advise you to and quickly !!!
    1. +1
      10 August 2012 17: 31
      This text is found on every second site and in almost all forums. A passage through the link is a serious risk of grabbing the virus on your computer. MODERATORS! please remove this provocation. Look at his profile - a typical spammer
  11. 0
    10 August 2012 17: 23
    It would be interesting to look at the battle of T28 against Mouse, who is who?
  12. +1
    10 August 2012 20: 20
    bazilioIS-3-both !!!!! feel Yes laughing
    1. Prohor
      10 August 2012 21: 31
      And two times !!! fellow feel
  13. ad3wsafdf
    12 August 2012 00: 49
    The authorities of our country have done a lot, but this is already too much.
    I generally accidentally found him http://xurl.es/poisksng
    Here is information about each of us, for example: relatives, friends, correspondence from social networks.
    And most importantly, it is accessible to everyone, I was really scared at first - you never know what moron there will climb
    Well, the truth is that you can delete all