December 1 marks exactly a year, as the National Defense Control Center of the Russian Federation (NCUA) took over combat duty. In its composition, at all levels of management from Kaliningrad to Vladivostok, regular operational shifts were deployed and began to carry on duty. What has changed over the past time, has the NTSUO RF completely realized itself? Major General Igor Solokhov, Deputy Head of the National Center for Defense Management of the Russian Federation, answered these and other questions of the MIC.
- Igor Vladimirovich, we all see how the creation of the National Center for Defense Management of the country last year changed the look of the Ministry of Defense. Even numerous skeptics now recognize the validity of controlling the Armed Forces with the help of the most advanced technologies.
- The National Center for Defense Management of the Russian Federation is the permanent operational body of the military organization of the state, uniform in structure for peacetime and wartime. His appearance was preceded by research and in-depth analysis of the existing threats to security and the capabilities of the state to neutralize them.
The decision to establish the center was taken by the President of 8 in May of 2013 in order to improve the system of centralized management of the state’s military organization and the economy of the country when it comes to preparing for its armed defense. From April 1 to December 1, the 2014 of the NTSUO of the Russian Federation was on experimental combat duty.
The events of the outgoing year confirmed the correctness of the decision taken by the president. The effective work of the duty shifts of the National Center at all levels during the main activities of operational training of the Armed Forces, as well as in crisis situations, allowed the leadership of the Ministry of Defense, commanders and commanders around the clock to receive relevant proposals for making decisions on the management of troops and forces. And the center is equipped with the most up-to-date telecommunication and computing facilities to coordinate the activities of federal executive bodies in the defense sphere without delay and without hindrance.
The technical capabilities of the center allow real-time monitoring of changes in the military-political situation in the world, to receive complete and reliable information about the state of all troops and military formations in the country, and the available material resources. Based on a comprehensive analysis, it is possible to model various scenarios for the development of the situation in the country and the world, ensuring that planning and decision-making by the leadership of the state are conducted in peacetime and wartime.
The national center manages around the clock all spheres of activity of the Armed Forces. These are the ability and readiness of troops to solve the assigned tasks, fulfillment of the state defense order, financial and logistical support, staffing and training, medical and housing support, international and other activities.
The basis of the National Center consists of three control centers:
Center for the Management of Strategic Nuclear Forces (SNF) is designed to control the use of nuclear weapons by decision of the highest military-political leadership of the country;
The combat command center monitors the military-political situation in the world, analyzes and forecasts the development of threats to the Russian Federation or its allies. It also provides control over the use of the Armed Forces, as well as troops and military formations that are not part of the structure of the Ministry of Defense of Russia;
-Center for day-to-day management, monitoring all activities of the state’s military organization related to the comprehensive support of the Armed Forces. He also coordinates the activities of federal authorities to meet the needs of other troops, military formations, agencies and special forces that are not part of the Ministry of Defense.
- How did you manage to realize the potential laid by the NUA of the Russian Federation?
- The growth potential for the National Center is still far from exhausted. The main directions of improving its effectiveness in the near future will be:
further improvement of interdepartmental information interaction in the interests of defense. Taking into account the results obtained during the exercise "Center-2015", a draft presidential decree regulating the work of the operational groups of federal executive bodies in the National Control Center has been developed and is being coordinated. The issuance of this decree will ensure a transition to a qualitatively new level of interaction between the central executive authorities and the administrations of the Federation's subjects in solving the tasks of state defense;
continuation of work on equipping regional and territorial control centers with technical means of information exchange and combining them into a single software and hardware complex of the National Center for Defense Management.
Important, but rather paramount, to increase the efficiency of the National Center is the level of training of officers. Not coincidentally, in parallel with its formation, a separate Institute of National Defense Management was established on the basis of the General Staff Academy, where, according to specially developed programs, training of highly skilled analysts, including officials of other federal executive bodies and defense enterprises, was organized.
In general, specialists for the center are trained in eight educational institutions of the Ministry of Defense of Russia, including retraining programs and additional professional education with a focus on mastering the most modern information and telecommunication technologies.
Realization of these directions will allow to reveal all potential incorporated in it.
- You said about interdepartmental information interaction in the interests of defense. How is it organized and with which government structures? Who do you most actively collaborate with?
- From the very beginning it must be said that the basis of any interaction, including information, is the existence of a regulatory legal framework. Presidential Decree of September 1 2014 number 601 and determined the future objectives and procedures for collecting information on the defense of the Russian Federation. It also reflects the basic rules for collecting information on defense issues and sharing it along the lines of activity of executive bodies and organizations, regardless of their form of ownership. The decree is intended to improve the efficiency of information support for the activities of senior state officials and heads of federal structures during events held at the National Control Center.
It is important to note that the information interaction of the Ministry of Defense of Russia and the federal bodies of executive power takes place within the framework of bilateral agreements that spell out the obligations of the parties and the issues of their implementation. At the moment, bilateral agreements have been defined and signed with federal executive bodies and organizations with which the Portal's electronic mail system for inter-agency information interaction was used for the first time for information exchange, which allows the transmission of classified information.
If we talk directly about the participants of interdepartmental cooperation, then traditionally, when solving joint tasks, we actively cooperate with the security bloc (FSB, SVR, FSO, FSKN, Emergencies Ministry, etc.).
- What is the organizational and technical basis of the system of interdepartmental information interaction?
- It is the system of control centers of federal executive bodies, the core of which is the National Center for Defense Management. The technical basis of the system is the software and hardware complex of the National Center for Defense Management.
In the interests of forming a single information space on defense issues of the Russian Federation, work is underway to integrate the information systems of the federal executive bodies into the software and hardware complex of the NTSUO of the Russian Federation using modern technologies that allow collecting, compiling and analyzing data on the situation from federal executive bodies, primarily participating in the implementation of measures of the defense plan of the Russian Federation.
For the further development of this direction and the search for new forms of its improvement 19 November, we held the first interdepartmental scientific-practical conference.
- What were the objectives of the conference?
- One of the main ones was the improvement of the system of interdepartmental information interaction in solving problems in the field of the country's defense. Today we have completed the clarification of the composition of participants in interdepartmental information interaction, taking into account the spectrum of all the tasks solved by our Armed Forces. Bilateral agreements have been signed between the Ministry of Defense and other federal executive bodies, and a legal framework has been formed that regulates the joint work of the Defense Ministry of the Russian Federation with the executive to exchange information on defense matters.
Taking into account the relevance of the work being done, it is necessary to determine further ways of solving the problems of interdepartmental information interaction, identify qualitatively new, modern approaches in this area, and involve a wider range of participants in this area of activity. All this was discussed at the conference.
- What do you expect from the results of this event?
- This conference gave impetus to the further improvement of the functional subsystem of interdepartmental information interaction. In addition, I am convinced that it allowed to form new views in the field of information technologies, various innovative and organizational solutions at a higher level. And ultimately served to strengthen the defense and security of the Russian Federation.