I have long wanted to take a picture of Stalingrad against the background of Volgograd, but I was constrained by the thought that I could hardly find anything in a city that was completely destroyed during the war. Over time, studying the city from afar, it became clear that all is not lost. And I was lucky, I met people who cherish their city and its история. I arrived in the hero city at the end of February, and for three days we managed to find and shoot what you see below.
Where it was possible to determine the place to centimeters, we did it, but in other cases, the accuracy depends on the binding to other objects. I have never had to shoot so many phantom buildings left only in old photographs. The whole city was rebuilt, some streets in the center were laid in a new way, hacked through the ruins, so old buildings are in some cases tied with an accuracy from meters to tens of meters, I ask the specialists to forgive me for this.
In my works I used photos of war correspondents of Emmanuel Evzerikhin, Georgiy Zelma, Natalia Bode, Sergei Strunnikov, Anatoly Egorov, Stepan Kurunin, Georgiy Lipskerov, Alexey Krasavin as well as LIFE correspondent Thomas Makavoy.
So, the summer of 1942. After the disaster of the Red Army near Kharkov, the front line to the Don steppes was exposed, and overcoming the desperate resistance of a few Soviet troops, the Wehrmacht launched an offensive against the Volga and the Caucasus. On August 23, the Germans went to Stalingrad, on the same day the most terrible German bomber airstrike took place aviation, which turned the once flowering city into solid ruins. In a few hours, more than 40 thousand inhabitants died.
1. Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd 2013. Obelisk on the Square of Fallen Fighters.
2. Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd 2013. The corner of the hotel "Big Stalingrad" and the building of the Department Store. Before the airstrike. Both of these buildings and what remains of them will be visible in many photographs. After the war, the restored building of the Department Store, in the basement of which Paulus's headquarters was located, will be built up with the Intourist hotel, but we will return to this later.
3. Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd 2013. German guns firing positions at the elevator. The elevator building was the highest in the city, and fierce battles unfolded for it. The Stalingrad elevator was defended by seamen from North Sea.
4. Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd 2013. German SAU Shturmgeshuts on Lipetsk Str.
5. Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd 2013. Ul Ostrovsky. Refugees with things. The sharp angle left by the hotel "Bolshaya Stalingradskaya" allows you to calculate this place with a certain accuracy. All modern buildings in the frame are built without reference to the foundations of old, new places.
6. Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd 2013. Tram in the battle zone at the elevator on Workers 'and Peasants' Street.
7. Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd 2013. Fight in the area of the elevator. Kozlovskaya Street, 65. A shot from the German newsreel.
8. Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd 2013. Elevator. On the walls of the elevator now you can easily see the traces of war.
9. Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd 2013. After the battle on the Square of Fallen Fighters at the House of Pilots. In place of the Pilots' House (left), now the building of the Volgograd State Medical University, connected by an arch with the hotel "Volgograd" on the right (also a new building). And Pushkin Street between them remained.
10. Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd 2013. Germans on Kursk Street. (Port Said str.) To the former school building (now the Engineering and Technical Lyceum) a wing with a gymnasium was later attached.
11. Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd 2013. German cannon at the Musical Theater. The theater building was restored after the war, but it has changed a lot.
12. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Musical Theatre.
13. Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd 2013. Paulus in the center of Stalingrad, st. Ostrovsky. On the right is one of the few pre-war buildings partially preserved, now it houses the Old Stalingrad hotel.
14. Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd 2013. Paulus at the Department Store. Same place, only on the other side. Behind the still-present Colonel-General Paulus is the very Department Store that will go down in history associated with his name.
15. Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd 2013. The building of the department store with the Hitler flag. The facade of the Department Store is located in the courtyard of the new building of the Intourist Hotel.
16. Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd 2013. Wehrmacht soldiers on Kurskaya Street (now Port Said). The building on the left (Said 8 Port) didn’t seem to have changed.
17. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Pavlov's House. Pavlov's house became one of the symbols of the defense of Stalingrad. In September, 1942, an assault team commanded by Sergeant Yakov Pavlov, knocked the Germans out of the building. Soviet soldiers held the house, repelling the attacks of the Nazis for two months until the liquidation of the German group. Field Marshal Paulus at the first interrogation after the capture, admitted that when trying to seize a house on the square of 9 on January, Germany lost more of its soldiers than during the conquest of France.
18. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Pavlov's House from the square of January 9 (Lenin Square). After the war, House Pavlov was attached a colonnade. In the background is the building of the Gergardt Mill.
19. Stalingrad 1946 - Volgograd 2013. Y.F. Pavlov (the hero of the famous defense of "Pavlov's House") and A.M. Cherkasov - Brigadier of the 1 Volunteer Brigade for the Restoration of Stalingrad talking against the backdrop of Pavlov House Pavlov House was one of the first buildings restored in Stalingrad. Now it is an ordinary residential building. When I was shooting, the old woman angrily slid the curtain.
20. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Unresolved inscriptions on the wall of Pavlov's house.
21. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. One of the non-preserved inscriptions on the wall of Pavlov's house. No inscriptions on the house have been preserved, but brick monumental inserts have been attached to both ends.
22. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Sarepta. St. Arsenyev, 6. This house is located in the southern part of the city, where the German did not reach. But the traces of destruction on the house stand out under the modern paint.
23. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Fight at the destroyed building of the hotel "Bolshaya Stalingradskaya". Here, this building has been destroyed more than in the photo number 05. Part of the old Tsaritsyn - pre-war Stalingrad had a diagonal arrangement of the streets, after the war, instead of them, the streets were pierced parallel and perpendicular to the Volga. The first street to be punched - Mira Street goes to the photo to the right.
24. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Soviet Tanks T-34 at the station. The station also entering the fighting was badly damaged. After the war, a new station was built in its place, not much like the old one.
25. Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd 2013. The soldiers at the Tsaritsyn Museum of Defense at the end of the fighting. Now it is called the Volgograd memorial and historical museum, there is a very interesting exposition dedicated to the Civil War, both white and red. And behind the fighters, there is a monument to the legendary Cossack Konstantin Iosifovich Nedorubov, a full St. George Knight and hero of the Soviet Union. Behind the building you can see the station.
26. Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd 2013. The museum building after the fighting. The museum building was heavily damaged during the fighting, but was restored to its original form.
27. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Monument to Stalin at the Tsaritsyn Museum of Defense and the House of Public Utilities.
28. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. House utilities.
29. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Ruins of the House of public utilities from the street. Gogol.
30. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Soviet fighters on Communist street. On the left - the destroyed House of public utilities, and in the distance a preserved building at Kommunisticheskaya, 10
31. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Fountain "Children's dance" on Privokzalnaya Square. On the site of the fountain is now parking.
32. Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd 2013. Station Square. Fountain "Children's dance". This photograph of Emmanuel Evzerikhin is the most famous photograph taken in battling Stalingrad.
33. Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd 2013. The fountain "Children's dance" on the background of the Museum of Defense. The fountain itself was typical; in several cities of the Soviet Union exactly the same ones were built (Voronezh, Dnepropetrovsk).
34. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Fountain "Children's dance". The fountain was restored after the war, but in 50-ies it was disassembled as not representing artistic value.
35. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Fountain "Children's dance". Judging by the Volgograd press, from time to time there is a question about the restoration of the fountain, but so far the matter has not progressed further.
36. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Dzerzhinsky Square. Tank T-34 at the Stalingrad Tractor Plant opposite the school №3. Exactly the same tank, and maybe this one, stands right here on the left as a monument.
37. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Dugout in the courtyard of the school number XXUMX. The fate of the civilian population of Stalingrad is tragic. Of those who survived the bombing, many did not have time to evacuate, they had to live almost on the front line in basements and dugouts. On the territory occupied by the Germans, the civilian population was evicted and hijacked to Germany.
38. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Tank T-34 on Fallen Fighters Square. Again, the Department Store building helped to become attached, showing through the Intourist Hotel.
39. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Beketovka. Paulus after being captured before the first interrogation at the headquarters of the 64 Army. January 30 Hitler Paulus was awarded the rank of Field Marshal General. The radiogram with this order was accepted when Soviet assault groups were already approaching Paulus's headquarters in the department store. Hitler hoped that Paulus in this case would prefer to shoot himself. However, in the morning the field-marshal was surrendered. By 12 hours he was already taken to Beketovka in the headquarters of the commander of the 64 army of General Shumilov, where the first interrogation of the field marshal took place. This place was not so difficult to find (it was more difficult to drive). In the distance you can see the hospital building, which has been well preserved since then. And upon closer inspection, the houses on the right coincided. Only they look older and grow a little into the ground. 70 years all gone.
40. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Beketovka. The officers of the headquarters of Paulus after the surrender. This house housed the headquarters of the commander of 64 Army General Shumilov, as stated by the corresponding memorial plaque, as well as the fact that the first interrogation of the German field marshal took place here.
41. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. The soldiers of the Red Army at the barricade on the Square of Fallen Fighters.
42. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Square of Fallen Fighters after the end of fighting.
43. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Square of Fallen Fighters after the end of fighting.
44. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Fallen Fighters Square. Surrendered by the Nazis, who survived the assault.
45. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Shadows of prisoners of the Nazis in the Square of Fallen Fighters. I think this corner of the Bolshaya Stalingradskaya Hotel is the same photographic symbol of the Battle of Stalingrad, like the fountain “Children's Dance”.
46. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Captured Nazis on the Square of the fallen soldiers. In the Stalingrad cauldron thousands of German soldiers and officers, including 91 generals, were captured over 24.
47. Stalingrad 1947 - Volgograd 2013. Nazi prisoners at the Red October plant. One of the three destroyed buildings left in Volgograd as a monument is located on the territory of the Red October plant. This is a two-story brick building of the central factory laboratory. From this angle, only its right end is visible, the rest is now covered by the temple. Well, on the collage you can see everything through the temple. I would like to thank the public relations department of the Krasny Oktyabr plant, and personally Dametken Arshimova and Veronika Yurkova for the prompt organization of admission to the restricted territory of the plant.
48. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Captive soldiers of the 6 of the German army at the elevator.
6-I Army Wehrmacht:
1940 year - entered Paris without a fight
1941 year - stormed Kiev with significant losses
1942 / 43 year - completely broken and capitulated in Stalingrad.
49. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013.German burials at the Department Store.
50. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. German graves at the Department Store.
51. Stalingrad 1947 - Volgograd 2013. Prisoners on the dismantling of the ruins of the station. Captured Germans began to return to Germany from 1945. At first, the disabled and the sick were released. By 1950, most Germans who did not participate in war crimes left home. Last released to 1955 year.
52. Stalingrad 1943 - 2013 Ruined Gergardt Mill and Panorama. Very often the mill is mistakenly called the Pavlov House.
53. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013.Kirche
54. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Proletkult street
55. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Mamaev Kurgan after the Fights
56. Stalingrad 1943-Volgograd 2013. Mamaev Kurgan after the Fights
57. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. A meeting on the Square of Fallen Fighters after the defeat of the German group.
58. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Gogol street. The building of the nailing plant is one of the few remaining after the war. On the left, behind the fence, the Museum of Defense, and in front is the same remaining corner of the Bolshaya Stalingradskaya Hotel and the Fallen Fighters Square.
59. Stalingrad 1947 - Volgograd 2013. Horse-drawn transport I read somewhere that separate rear units entered camel carts to Berlin, which shocked the Germans more than Russian tanks.
60. Stalingrad 1947 - Volgograd 2013. At the building of the Department Store. Again the same point on the street. Ostrovsky in the courtyard of the hotel Intourist. It was here, in the basement, that the German field marshal surrendered for the first time in history.
61. Stalingrad 1945 - Volgograd 2013. Return to the city. The residents who returned to the city were forced to live in the basements of the destroyed buildings and dugouts, in the shops of the restored enterprises.
62. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. St. Ogarev. Demining In the photo is another of the surviving houses - House movers.
63. Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd 2013. Department store from the ruins of the hotel "Big Stalingradskaya".
64. Stalingrad 1946 - Volgograd 2013. A department store and a resurgent city
65. Berlin 1945 / 2010 Reichstag.