The contact group agreed on an indefinite cease-fire in the Donbass, starting on September 1
“The contact group, with the participation of representatives of Lugansk and Donetsk, declared the need for an indefinite ceasefire in connection with the start of the new school year from midnight on August 31. I personally call on the parties to express their support for this statement at the highest level, ”Saidik said.
He recalled that such an agreement was reached last year as well. “Unfortunately, a year has passed, and we must do it anew,” said the special representative.
“I must say that these are joint initiatives of all members of the Contact Group. I hope that the children will be able to start the school year in peace, ”he said.
“The ceasefire depends on the will of all political forces,” Saidik added.
Meanwhile, on the night of Saturday in Donetsk, an explosion thundered again - now near the building of the military registration and enlistment office.
“In the military registration and enlistment office on Kuprin Street, an unidentified explosive device went off near the first floor window, according to preliminary data, with a delayed-action mechanism. The operational-investigative group of the regional department of internal affairs left for the scene, ”DAN reports with reference to the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the republic.
“There are no casualties or injuries. Glazing and window frames have been damaged in the building, ”the department added.
Meanwhile, Kiev announced the withdrawal of the Azov special-purpose regiment from the anti-terrorist operation zone. The regiment will be redeployed from Mariupol to the Zaporozhye region.
“The order for Azov to leave the ATO zone was received shortly before the celebration of the Independence Day, when the front-line city needed strengthening. At the same time, the most combat-ready unit was withdrawn by the decision of the commander of the NSU (National Guard), Lieutenant General Yuri Allerov, ”the regiment's press service said in a release.
“And this is being done at a time when there are not enough people on the front line, and those who continue to defend their Motherland in the first line are already exhausted mentally and physically. Moreover, the situation at the front has been aggravated recently, ”the press service noted.
In the Zaporozhye region, "Ukrainian patriots" will be on duty at checkpoints and protect law and order, that is, they will perform purely police functions.
“Perhaps this is done so that the Azov fighters do not interfere with the authorities and the pro-Russian command of the NSU from surrendering their positions and entire cities,” the press service added.
Subscribe and stay up to date with the latest news and the most important events of the day.