Western sanctions, a crisis in the economy, military operations of the VKS against the Islamic State banned in our country ... How the strategic deterrence tasks that are primarily assigned to the Strategic Missile Forces are solved under these conditions, the strategic missile forces commander told the Military Industrial Courier destination Colonel-General Sergey Karakayev.
- Sergey Viktorovich, what were the results of the 2015 school year for your troops?
- The level of training of formations and military units as a whole ensured the fulfillment of the tasks assigned by the Minister of Defense for the 2015 academic year. Combat training plans implemented in full.
In the 2015 school year, work was continued on mastering the personnel of new technology, a missile regiment was retrained for a new missile system. Due to the intensity of tactical and tactical special training activities, including working out the tasks of combat duty, the field training of personnel and readiness for maneuverable actions of the PGRK missile regiments remain stable. The level of training for combat calculations of start-up, multi-axle chassis driver-mechanics allows you to perform assigned tasks with guarantee. This is confirmed by the results of inspections by the commissions of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces, the commander of the Strategic Missile Forces, as well as the results of training of strategic nuclear forces under the leadership of the Supreme Commander.
The command of the commander of the Strategic Missile Forces checked the control of the formation, 17 percent of the missile divisions, 10 percent of the missile regiments and 17 percent of the military units. Allied commanders - 58 percent of missile divisions, involving 28 percent of rocket regiments and 54 percent of support and guard units. The commanders of the missile divisions for the year evaluated the 62 percent of the missile regiments and the 29 percent of the support and security units. All units and military units of the Strategic Missile Forces for the state of combat training received positive ratings.
Compared to the 2014 school year, the estimate was upgraded to five rocket regiments, four support and security units. These results are evidence of systematic organizational work for maintaining troop training.
- How many launches are done in 2015, how many are planned in 2016?
- In the 2015, the Strategic Missile Forces carried out seven missile launches: one - in the framework of the training session on the management of the Russian Armed Forces, two - for experimental testing of the combat equipment of strategic missiles, three - for testing missile systems and one - for the purpose of eliminating missiles with expired service and launch spacecraft.
Andrei Sedykh collage (photo by ITAR-TASS)
In 2016, it is planned to conduct 16 launches, of which two - with the aim of extending the service life, 14 - testing, experimental development of developed missile systems, combat equipment of strategic missiles and for management training of the Armed Forces.
- How were the contracts for state defense order implemented in the interests of the Strategic Missile Forces? Did you manage to coordinate the positions of the Ministry of Defense and industry regarding the price of strategic missile systems?
- The state armament program for 2011 – 2020 years provides for a balanced set of measures to create advanced missile weapons, re-equip the Strategic Missile Forces with modern missile systems, maximize the use of the RK duty personnel, and create a scientific and technical reserve.
What has been done last year. Firstly, the modernization of the RK "Yars" mobile ground and stationary, with enhanced capabilities to overcome the existing and future missile defense systems. Secondly, the planned work on the creation of the newest stationary RK with a Sarmat heavy-class missile. Thirdly, a lot of attention is paid to maintaining the grouping by extending the service life of the HSRC that are on duty.
VVST supply plans for 2015 were fully met. More than 90 percent of orders in the interests of the Strategic Missile Forces are executed on long-term contracts. The state defense order provides for further development of the shock funds of the Strategic Missile Forces, with much planned to be done in 2016
As for the prices of products, they are determined in accordance with the calculations provided by enterprises - potential suppliers. The problem with pricing is completely exhausted.
- In your opinion, are Russian enterprises ready to produce in the required volume new missile systems, including those of a heavy class?
- In accordance with the Federal Target Program “Development of the Defense-Industrial Complex of the Russian Federation before 2020 of the Year”, industrial enterprises, planned to be the only suppliers of serial products, receive funding from the state budget for the preparation of production. These funds are used to build or repair industrial premises, purchase machinery and other equipment, and train personnel.
Thus, it is possible to speak with confidence about the readiness of domestic industry cooperation to create and supply in the required volumes to the troops of the Yars missile system and to complete the development work on the Sarmat complex.
I am pleased to note that at present the state tests of the Yars RK have been completed; it is recommended by decision of the state commission for adoption.
As for the rates of rearmament on the Yars, they correspond to the instructions of the president and range from four to five rocket regiments per year. This is quite enough to complete the reequipment of the Strategic Missile Forces in time and in time.
In December, we almost completed the combat duty of five missile regiments in the Tagil, Novosibirsk and Kozel formations. As planned, the troops received in accordance with the state defense order of the Yars missile of mobile ground and stationary bases. In 2016, five more regiments will be retrofitted to this complex. The rearmament of the Irkutsk and Yoshkar-Ola divisions will begin, and the Novosibirsk, Kozelsk and Nizhne-Tagil divisions will continue. Two dozen intercontinental ballistic missiles will enter these compounds.
Of course, such a high rate of re-equipment was achieved thanks to the use of ready-made infrastructure of positional divisions of PGRK missile divisions, which made it possible to significantly reduce the cost of putting the RV Yars into the strategic rocket forces grouping.
- What are the advantages of this complex?
- It has the properties that make it difficult for the enemy to solve the problem of countering: a reduced accelerating section of a rocket’s flight, significantly shorter in duration than that of previous generations, new body covers and other elements, a durable and lightweight design, powerful engines and control devices capable of operating significant overloads.
The new RK replaces the aging complexes with fourth-generation ICBMs — the single-block PC-12M Topol and the multiply charged PC-18 Stilette as their extended service life expires. In the near future, together with the Topol-M missile complex of the RS-12М2 missile complex Topol-M, the ICBR RS-24 of the PGRK Yars will be the basis of the Strategic Missile Forces grouping.
The commander-in-chief has set us the task: by the year of 2022, to bring the share of modern types of missile weapons to 100 percent. Today it is already 56 percent.
- What are the approximate characteristics of the promising Sarmat missile and how is it better than the RS-20В “Voevoda”?
- According to its weight and size characteristics, it is similar to its predecessor. But along with this, there will be new types of combat equipment, promising means of overcoming the enemy's missile defense. The most important thing is that the complex is being developed and will be manufactured at the enterprises of Russian cooperation. I will add that in April 2015, the president decided to suspend the conversion program Dnipro.
- Some experts say that the US missile defense system can level our nuclear missile potential in the event of war. Others - that even the missile defense system being created is unable to become a tangible threat to the Russian strategic nuclear forces in a retaliatory strike and retaliatory strike ...
- Estimations of experts show: the US missile defense system deployed for today, by its information and fire capabilities, is unable to withstand the massive use of the strategic missile forces grouping.
Analyzing the timetable for implementing the US missile defense concept outlined before 2020, the European Phased Adaptive Approach, I can say that it exceeds all previous projects in its scope and military strategic consequences. Already today, sea-based missile defense systems have been deployed in many regions of the world, forming the backbone of the future global missile defense system, a network of information and intelligence facilities and specialized points and control systems has been created, organizational and technical measures are being taken to link them into a single system. The current US administration has not cut a single anti-missile program outlined by this concept in 2009: neither the production of new information systems and extended-range interceptors, nor their delivery and deployment plans in key regions of the world. According to American estimates, the integration of different in purpose and characteristics of the means in the new missile defense system will allow organizing a multi-echelon protection system providing impact on space and air targets on any part of the trajectory. It is primarily about the defeat of our missiles and warheads.
Long-term plans for the development of the Strategic Missile Forces and strategic nuclear forces have already been adjusted to reflect the projected rate and scale of deployment of information and impact tools of this system.
The implementation of our plans involves the use of fundamentally new effective means and ways to overcome any missile defense. According to the plans approved by the political leadership of Russia for the development of strategic nuclear forces of the Strategic Missile Forces, they will maximally modernize their weapons, taking into account the parameters of the START Treaty. Creation of ICBMs with qualitatively new characteristics and equipping them with complexes of means for overcoming the anti-missile and air defense of the new generation will ensure that any potential threats are neutralized.
- What is the situation with automated combat control system? What will be its new look?
- The command and control system used in the mobile-based Yars RK provides a significant increase in the likelihood of bringing orders thanks to more advanced means of communication and the use of modern information and telecommunication technologies. This will allow the use of rocket complexes without limiting the distances when performing maneuverable actions and expanding the possibilities for choosing the routes of their combat patrols.
The use of new mobile control points ensures sustainable, continuous and operational management of nuclear weapons taking into account the peculiarities of the combat use of both existing and future strategic strategic forces in real time.
Equipping this ASBU with the re-equipped formations and military units of the Strategic Missile Forces makes it possible in the near future to begin upgrading stationary command and control centers. The new look of ASBU, the implementation of which is planned since 2016, is based on a promising integrated automated system. It will allow for the operational re-targeting of missiles, as well as solving the tasks of providing information and managing the daily activities of the Strategic Missile Forces. Orders will be transmitted via wire, radio and satellite communication channels, which have the required survivability and noise immunity.
Complexes of automation equipment promising integrated automated combat control system of the fifth generation are compact, low power consumption, improved algorithms for the closure of the transfer of information, increased resistance to external influences and reliability of operation.
ASUs of the fourth and fifth generations provide for bringing combat control orders directly to launchers, bypassing intermediate links, including under conditions of nuclear influence and electronic suppression.
- As you know, we began work on the creation of a new railway in Kazakhstan? What has already been done and does this cause irritation to our counter-partners?
- At present, the outline design has been completed, working design documentation for the units and systems of the complex is being prepared. In 2017, a report on the prospects for its deployment should be presented to the president.
I would emphasize that under the terms of the START Treaty, control in the field of nuclear weapons is carried out on a parity basis. Russia and the United States annually conduct 18 inspections to confirm the accuracy of the declared data on strategic offensive arms. Also used technical controls. The parties exchange data on the state of their strategic offensive arms (as of March 1 and September September 1). In 2015, RVSN objects were inspected 12 times.
- Is it possible to use the arsenal of the Strategic Missile Forces in non-nuclear equipment to attack the terrorists of the "Islamic state"?
- I do not see the need. Rational planning is that each object is assigned the means of destruction that is most effective.
The use of intercontinental ballistic missiles of the Strategic Missile Forces with any type of equipment is carried out under the sanction of the Supreme Commander. If a corresponding political decision is made, the Strategic Missile Forces are ready to perform any task.
- Does the Strategic Missile Forces receive equipment based on new physical principles?
- The Strategic Missile Forces have long professed the principle: everything new and promising, including the application of new physical principles that can serve to strengthen their existing capabilities, should be among the troops.
Machine engineering and disguise (MIOM) - one of the first in this series. Starting with 2012, MIOM enters the arsenal of the Teikov Rocket Division. Together with industrial enterprises, work is being carried out to modernize and expand the possibilities for engineering reconnaissance of patrol routes, preparing the terrain for field positions of mobile ground-based missile systems, and applying various camouflage measures. In the future, it is planned to supply the already upgraded machine to the Irkutsk and Novosibirsk missile formations of the Strategic Missile Forces.
Do not forget about another innovation in the interests of the Strategic Missile Forces - the machine for remote demining "Foliage". This model was created by the ROC "Yars" to increase the survivability and security of units PGRK on combat patrol routes and field positions, for demining sections of the routes of movement of columns of equipment.
In military conditions, an inspection was carried out of the combat effectiveness of the FAR "Foliage" for the destruction (neutralization) of mine-explosive devices (special assemblies of engineering ammunition). The first two vehicles have already been delivered to the Novosibirsk and Teikov missile formations.
- The relocation of the Peter the Great Military Academy of Strategic Missile Forces from Moscow to Balashikha did happen. How justified is this step?
- In accordance with the directive of the Minister of Defense 1 of September 2015, the redeployment of the Peter the Great Military Academy of the Strategic Missile Forces to Balashikha was completed to the funds of the liquidated Military Technical University. This was due to the urgent need for a deep modernization of the academy, including its educational material base and infrastructure necessary for the qualitative solution of the assigned tasks of training officer personnel.
Scientists and engineers of the country are actively conducting research and development of promising missile systems, which will be put into service before the 2020 year. In such conditions, the Strategic Missile Forces BA requires fundamentally different approaches to the training of highly qualified officers. The corresponding material base for this is created on the new funds of the Academy.
It is planned to build a new academic building with a total area of about 42 thousand square meters, which will house the teaching and research staff of the academy. Specialized classes with educational-cutting samples of modern and promising RK and training facilities, simulators will be interconnected into a single system through the training center with access to the network of command and control command points of the regiment-connection-association. There will also be an academic library with a modern electronic access system and specialized pavilions with weapons and military equipment, with the possibility of working out individual elements of tasks for their intended purpose.
An administrative building (approximate total area - 8600 sq. M), a universal sports complex with three halls, a complex with a pool and an ice rink, a museum of rocket technology will also be built.
After the delivery of these objects in 2016 – 2017, the formation of the academy on new foundations will be finally completed, the quality of the educational process will change. Currently, it is positive that after the relocation of the university, the training system for the Strategic Missile Forces remained unchanged in quantitative terms (the academy prepares specialists for all the programs listed in the annex to the license). The level and quality of academic education, scientific and pedagogical potential saved.
The Strategic Missile Forces recognize the leading role of the academy in the training of officers and take all measures to preserve and enhance the achievements of their main university.