Soviet-Japanese relations remained tense from the very beginning of the Soviet Union. As you know, Japanese troops took part in the intervention during the Civil War, with the help of Japan, White Guard units operated in the Far East and Eastern Siberia. In the 1930s Japanese militarism posed a significant threat to the Far Eastern and Siberian borders of the Soviet Union. In addition, Japan, taking advantage of China's weakness, torn by internecine contradictions, created puppet states of Manzhou-go and Menjiang on its territory. Both countries acted fully in the wake of Japanese politics and represented a danger to neighboring pro-Soviet Mongolia. In 1938 and 1939 There were armed conflicts on Lake Hassan and Khalkhin-Gol - between the USSR and Japan, but they did not spill over into a large-scale war between the two states. In 1941, Japan did not attack the Soviet Union, focusing on the occupation of the countries of the Asia-Pacific region. In 1941-1945 Japan fought against the United States, Great Britain, Australia and New Zealand, occupying almost all of Southeast Asia and part of Oceania. Despite the fact that several developed countries fought against Japan, Japan could not be defeated and the Allies persistently demanded that the Soviet Union enter the war. Ultimately, at the Yalta Conference, I.V. Stalin promised that the USSR would enter the war with Japan two months after the victory over Nazi Germany. However, in reality, the USSR declared war on Japan three months later - on August 8, 1945. On the night of August 9, 1945, Soviet troops began military operations against Japan. Soviet aviation It attacked important military facilities located in Harbin, Xinjing and Jilin, as well as the main areas of concentration of the Japanese army and navy. The forces of the Pacific Fleet blocked the Korean and Manchu coasts, after which the Kwantung army was cut off from other Japanese formations in Northern China.
The Pacific Fleet made an enormous contribution to the victory of the Soviet troops over militaristic Japan. In fact, the creation and strengthening of the Pacific Fleet in the 1930-ies. was connected precisely with the need to block the military threat posed by Japan. The growing activity of Japan in the Pacific region was very worried about the Soviet leadership. In 1932, the Far East Naval Forces were created, which transferred several merchant and fishing vessels converted into minesweepers and barriers and sentry ships. Several warships were transferred from the Baltic and Black Sea fleets, and the personnel of the naval forces being formed were also transferred there. 12 torpedo boats were delivered from Leningrad to Vladivostok by rail, which formed the first division of torpedo boats of the fleet. It was also decided to build for the needs of the Marine Forces of the Far East 12 submarines of type "Sh" and 30 of boats of type "M". Accordingly, work began on the creation and strengthening of the coastal defense line, especially necessary in view of the risk of aggression from Japan. The first commander of the Naval Forces of the Far East was M.V. Viktorov, formerly commander of the Baltic Sea Naval Forces. Viktorov commanded the UEFA, and then the Pacific Fleet, before 1937, then was transferred to the post of Chief of the Naval Forces of the Red Army. 21 April 1932 - the day when Viktorov announced the formations, units, ships and institutions of the new fleet, is considered the official date of the creation of the Pacific Fleet. In April, the naval aviation of the fleet was established by 1933, initially as part of a bomber brigade and reconnaissance aviation squadron.
11 January 1935 g. The Far East Naval Forces (UEFA) were renamed the Pacific Fleet (Pacific Fleet). Initially, the development of the Pacific Fleet was one of the priorities of the Soviet military policy in the Far East. In 1937, in Vladivostok, the Pacific Higher Naval School for them was created. C.O. Makarova, and 24 June 1941 was in the school was made early release of lieutenants. In 1938, units of the Pacific Fleet received their baptism of fire during the conflict at Lake Hassan. The submarines of the Pacific Fleet carried the coast guard service, while the surface fleet provided transportation for troops, ammunition, food and clothing to the combat area. As a result of battles at Lake Hassan, 74 seamen of the Pacific Fleet were awarded orders and medals for their valor and courage. By 1939, as a member of the Pacific Fleet were considered: 2 flotilla leader of "Baku" and "Tbilisi", 5 destroyers, patrol ships 6, 5 mine layers, mine sweepers 18, 19 antisubmarine ships, submarines 86, 145 torpedo boats. Naval aviation fleet numbered about 500 aircraft. Submarines of the Pacific Fleet, the first in the Soviet Navy began to make year-round trips. When the Great Patriotic War began, part of the crew and personnel of the Pacific Fleet was transferred to the Northern Fleet, 140 thousands of Pacific sailors were sent to the front as part of the formed naval rifle brigades. At the same time, the Pacific Fleet itself was on high alert, as the USSR was expecting at any time a perfidious attack by militarist Japan on the country's Far Eastern borders. Sailors - Pacific Ocean valiantly served, at each moment waiting for the likely start of hostilities. An important role in the service of the Pacific Fleet was played by the protection of the water area (OVR), which performed the task of ensuring the protection of coastal waters from mining, penetration of enemy ships and submarines. In fact, it was the Water District Protection that was responsible for the safe passage of Soviet vessels in the Far Eastern waters.
Water District Protection Team
Back in 1932, as part of the Marine Forces of the Far East, as the Pacific Fleet was then called, the 1-I naval team of trawling and barriers was formed. 4 May 1932 G. the commander of the brigade was appointed A.V. Vasilyev, chief of staff of the brigade N.E. Bassist, military commissar - V.G. Grigoriev. The first ships included in the brigade were the steam yacht “Admiral Zavoyko”, renamed the patrol ship “Red Pennant”, minelayers “Stavropol”, “Tomsk” and “Erivan”. The sailing-steam yacht “Admiral Zavoyko” was built at 1910 in St. Petersburg, at the Okhta shipyard. The yacht was a two-mast and had a displacement of 650 tons, a horsepower 600 machine, which allowed it to reach speeds up to 9 knots. The yacht was equipped with a wireless telegraph, had a motorboat and three boats on board. The yacht was armed with two 57-mm cannons and two machine guns. The minelayer “Stavropol” was built in 1907 and initially sailed as a cargo-passenger steamer, but in 1923 it was re-equipped, armed and incorporated into the Far East Naval Forces as an auxiliary cruiser. However, three months later, in the same 1923 year, the ship was disarmed and again became a merchant steamer. In 1932, it was re-incorporated into the URA and converted into a minelayer. The ship had a displacement of 2300 T., could reach speeds up to 10,5 nodes. The minelayer "Tomsk" was built in 1913, as well as a passenger-and-freight steamer, and was originally called Vladivostok. In November 1922, the ship was re-equipped, armed and incorporated into the Marine Forces of the Far East. It was initially used as a military vehicle, but in 1923 it was disarmed and returned for civilian purposes. In August, the steamer 1932 was again given to the Marine Forces of the Far East and until 1940 was used as a minelayer, then as a mine blockhead and from April 1945 as a self-propelled floating base. The minelayer "Erivan" was also built as a cargo-passenger ship in 1912, in 1932, it was armed and re-equipped for military purposes, after which it was used as a minelayer. Following the converted passenger and passenger ships, the Pacific Fleet included the former fishing trawlers “Ara”, “Gagara”, “Cormorant” and “Plastun”, which were converted into minesweepers. The brigade also included the minesweepers Diomid, Slavyanka, Bosphorus, Skryplev and Voyevoda, who had previously served as tugs of the People's Commissariat for Water Transport of the USSR. The flagship of the brigade was the mine-layer Tomsk. By the way, on the flagship of the brigade as a navigator at one time he served SG Gorshkov is the future Admiral of the Fleet of the Soviet Union, Commander-in-Chief of the USSR Navy. Later, Gorshkov was promoted and became the flagship navigator of the brigade.
19 July 1939 People's Commissar of the USSR Navy flagship of the 2 fleet, rank N.S. Kuznetsov ordered the creation of a main base of the Pacific Fleet (OVR Pacific Fleet) on the basis of the brigade of the Security Guard compound. 28 August 1939, in accordance with the order of the Military Council of the Pacific Fleet, the compound of the Water Area Protection was separated from the Vladivostok fortified area and formed an independent connection, subordinated directly to the Military Council of the Pacific Fleet. The commander of the compound was appointed captain 3 rank Vladimir Alexandrovich Andreev (1904-1994) - a graduate of the Higher Naval School. Mv Frunze 1927 of the year, before being appointed commander of the Pacific Fleet Water Conservation Union, served as chief of staff of the Pacific Fleet barrage and trawling brigade (Vladimir Aleksandrovich got to the Pacific Fleet five years after graduating from the naval school in 1932). Vladimir Andreev was an experienced and talented officer, which was subsequently noted by the command - he rose to the rank of admiral, commanded the Northern Pacific Flotilla during the Soviet-Japanese war, then the Sakhalin flotilla, and retired from 1967 as chief of logistics of the Navy THE USSR.
The compound included more than 100 ships and boats, including patrol ships, minesweepers and sea hunters that formed the 14 divisions. In this composition, the Protection of the Water District has met the beginning of the Great Patriotic War. In October, 1941 from the composition of the OVR seamen was formed a detachment of marines, sent to the front and took part in the defense of Moscow. In 1942, 378 seafarers serving in the compound were sent to the front. In the spring of 1945, when the USSR was already aware of the imminent entry of the war against Japan, the strengthening of the Pacific Fleet, including the brigade for the protection of the water area, began. So, 26 March 1945 was composed of a brigade 2-th division of the Big Submarine Hunters, which included 12 anti-submarine ships. They were transferred to the Soviet Union under Lend-Lease - from the United States of America, and as part of the Soviet Navy received the designation BO-1. In June, an 1945 brigade of Big Hunters, subordinated to the commander of the Pacific Fleet, was formed on the basis of the 2 division of the Big Hunters division in June. In August, 1, the Pacific Fleet Water Conservation Union, took part in hostilities against Japan. It was OVR ships that directly provided the landing of Soviet landings in the ports of North Korean cities. From the ships of the water area security compound, 1945 marines were landed. In addition, OVR ships participated in hostilities against enemy transports and enemy aircraft. 1500 of Japanese transports was sunk and damaged, and two Japanese aircraft were shot down.
Under sail against submarines
One of the most important tasks of the protection of the water area of the Pacific Fleet was the fight against enemy submarines. Japan had a sufficiently large and well-armed submarine fleet, which, long before the start of the Soviet-Japanese war, caused considerable damage to Soviet navigation in the Pacific Ocean. At the beginning of 1942, the ships “Kolkhoznik”, “Kiev” and “Ashkhabad” were sunk in the Far Eastern waters. Unknown submarines sank them - that is, officially unknown, although everyone already knew that the death of Soviet ships was the work of the submariners of the Japanese imperial fleet. The task force minimizing threats from Japanese submarines was assigned to the Pacific Fleet Water Conservation unit. In service with the Protection of the water area in 1941-1945. There were MO-4 - small hunters, which were high-speed boats with good weapons and a stock of depth charges. The construction of small hunters was in full swing before the start of World War II - boats were made and transferred both to the Navy and to the naval units of the border guard of the NKVD of the USSR. Development of the MO-4 type began in the 1936 of the Boat, with small sizes, received excellent armament and were equipped with a kite trawl or boat paravan-trawl, mines or mine defenders. But the small hunters had a very serious drawback - they practically did not have modern means of detecting submarines, and the search for the enemy was carried out with the help of outdated mechanical Pomeidon direction-finding buzzers. But these simple mechanisms did not allow the submarine to be detected if it was traveling at a long range. In addition, due to the noise of the motor of the boat itself, it was not possible to search for enemy submarines on the boat’s course. Therefore, the small hunters who went on combat duty had to stop and, turning off the machines, start listening to the waters. Since the submarines were also equipped with sonar equipment, they, as a rule, were found by small hunters before the latter established the location of the submarines. This was repeatedly tested on maneuvers of the Pacific Fleet, during which Soviet submarines successfully changed course as soon as they established the location of small hunters. Naturally, in the event of the outbreak of hostilities with Japan, this feature of Soviet anti-submarine boats could seriously impede a full-fledged fight against enemy submarines, which, in turn, created the danger of unimpeded activity of enemy submarines in the Far Eastern waters. Therefore, the commanders of ships and boats of the Water District Guard constantly thought about how to make small hunters noiseless so that enemy submarines could not “calculate” them instantly.
During the period under review, Senior Lieutenant N.A. served as an assistant to the flagship mechanic for the Protection of the Water District of the Pacific Fleet. Polonsky (1914-1996). A graduate of the Sevastopol Shipbuilding College, he grew up in the legendary Sevastopol and from childhood was interested in the sea and ships. In his youth, Polonsky was fond of yachts and was a student of the Sevastopol yachtsman O. Bezrodny, a fleet veteran who had served as boatswains on sailing ships for a significant part of his life. Youth hobby has grown into a lifelong business - the shipbuilding school was followed by a job as an engineer at shipbuilding enterprises, and during the war years - service in the Navy. Captain-Lieutenant M. Sagulenko, who commanded a detachment of sea hunters, put forward an idea that was ingenious in its simplicity - to install sails on boats. Recalling that Senior Lieutenant Polonsky serving in the Protection of the Water District, well versed in the sailing fleet, Sagulenko approached him with a proposal to consider the possibility of setting sails on small hunters. The task that Sagulenko set for the senior lieutenant was not an easy one - after all, it was necessary not only to develop sketches of the sailing equipment of small hunters, but also to make the sails comfortable, not obstructing observation, and gunfire. Sailing equipment should be as simple as possible, so that sailors who did not have experience sailing on sailboats could cope with it without the need for additional training. In addition, the boats had to maintain their maneuverability - and this required an increase in the area of the steering wheel. Senior Lieutenant Polonsky set about developing the sailing equipment of small hunters - and completed his task very quickly and efficiently. Wartime did not require delays, and before the war, tasks of such a level were set not for one individual engineer, but for entire design bureaus. After a short time, Polonsky presented the drawings to the command, which decided to try them out experimentally and experimentally.
The first sails were installed on the boat of Captain-Lieutenant J. Kopylov, who conducted training maneuvers to search for and destroy a submarine of a conditional enemy. It turned out that the installation of sails on small hunters dramatically affects the search, detection and destruction of enemy submarines. First of all, small hunters were able to track the submarines, without stopping the course, and also remained unnoticed, because the quiet course under the sails could not reveal the sonar acoustics. Finally, the sailing equipment allowed to a lesser extent depend on the provision of fuel and, in the event of a shortage of the latter, calmly follow the sailing course. The commander of the boat captain-lieutenant Kopylov reported to the command that during the exercises the submarine pursued by the boat could not break away from the pursuit. After the effectiveness of the innovative ideas of Sagulenko and Polonsky was experimentally proved, the sails were installed on all anti-submarine boats of the OVR compound. For a whole year, small hunters patrolled the territorial waters on a sailing course, and only in 1943, after the latest sonar equipment, underwater observation ultrasound stations, got into the protection of the water area of the Pacific Fleet, and sails. But in stories The fleet experiment conducted by Sagulenko and Polonsky remained as a remarkable example of the creative ingenuity of Soviet sailors.
How marines and sailors took port seysin
The ships guarding the water area of the Pacific Fleet had to play a key role in the transportation and support of the landing of Soviet troops during the Seysin landing operation. After the 11-13 in August 1945, the North Korean ports of Yuki and Rasin were rapidly landing an amphibious assault force, the command of the Pacific Fleet decided to make an amphibious landing in the port of Seisin. There was a powerful base of the Japanese army - the garrison of the port numbered about 4000 officers and soldiers, as well as units of the 3 army, commanded by Lieutenant-General Keisaku Murakami, retreated to Seisin. Commander-in-Chief of the Soviet troops in the Far East Marshal of the Soviet Union A.M. Vasilevsky authorized the commander of the Pacific Fleet, Admiral I.S. Yumashev carried out a landing in the Seysin port with the help of a marine brigade and separate naval units, after which naval aviation and torpedo boats from 9 to 13 August launched daily bombing and assault attacks on Seisin. As a result of the bombing, ten Japanese ships were sunk, six more ships were sunk by torpedo boats. After 12 August, a group of Soviet torpedo boats made reconnaissance of the Japanese harbor and established the absence of Japanese military vessels there, it was decided to proceed directly to the landing operation. For its conduct, the Pacific Fleet Command allocated 1 destroyer, 1 minelayer, 8 patrol ships, 7 mine trawlers, 2 boats MO-4, 18 torpedo boats, 12 landing craft and 7 transport ships. Airborne support was to be provided by naval aviation 261 aircraft, including 188 bombers and 173 fighter aircraft. The direct command of the amphibious operation was entrusted to Major General V.P. Trushin, appointed commander of the landing force, and captain 1 of rank AF Studenichnikov appointed commander of the landing. In this case, the overall command of the operation was carried out personally by the commander of the Pacific Fleet, Admiral I.S. Yumashev.
A few words should be said here about the famous naval commander Yumashev, who commanded the Pacific Fleet for eight years - from 1939 to 1947. - in the most difficult and responsible years of the Great Patriotic War and the Soviet-Japanese war. Ivan Stepanovich Yumashev (1895-1972) began service in the navy before the revolution. After graduating from the Kronstadt school as a junior, Yumashev served in the Baltic Fleet and rose to the rank of non-commissioned officer, was chairman of the battery committee. From February 1919, he continued to serve in the Workers 'and Peasants' Red Fleet, participated in the Civil War, then graduated from special courses for naval commanders. In 1927, Mr. Yumashev became commander of the destroyer Dzerzhinsky, in 1932, he became commander of the cruiser “Profintern”, in 1934-1935. commanded a battalion of destroyers, and in 1935-1937. - crew of cruisers. In September, 1937, Mr. Yumashev, became Chief of Staff of the Black Sea Fleet, and in January, 1938 - Commander of the Black Sea Fleet. In March, 1939 was he who was entrusted with the honor to lead the Pacific Fleet. During the years of Yumashev’s command, the Pacific Fleet became a powerful naval unit, and the organization of the coastal defense of the Far Eastern coast was put on a high level. In August - September 1945, during the Soviet-Japanese war, Yumashev effectively managed the formations and ships of the Pacific Fleet and made a huge contribution to ensuring the victory of the Soviet weapons over the Japanese militarists. 14 September 1945 Mr. Stepanovich Yumashev was awarded the high title of Hero of the Soviet Union. In January 1947, the commander of the Pacific Fleet, Admiral Yumashev, was appointed Commander-in-Chief of the Navy and Deputy Minister of the Armed Forces of the USSR, and in 1950-1951. He was the USSR Naval Minister (in the period of the relatively short existence of a separate naval ministry), after which he headed the Naval Academy, at the head of which he remained until his retirement. The Seisin operation was the result of the efforts of Admiral Yumashev, since Marshal of the Soviet Union K.A. Meretskov, commanding the troops of the 1 of the Far Eastern Front, still 12 in August, seeing the operational situation at the front, decided to cancel the landing of troops, and Yumashev, who won support from the commander of the troops in the Far East of Marshal Vasilevsky, was relying solely on combat operations Pacific Fleet resources and capabilities - marines, naval aviation and ship formations.
The scouts of the Soviet fleet learned that an infantry battalion of the Japanese army, an officer’s school and a naval base were deployed in Seisin. In addition, after the retreat of the Kwantung Army, the 2 Infantry Regiment arrived in Seysin, and then the whole Infantry Division. The command of the Japanese troops was carried out by the commander of the Ranan fortified area, Lieutenant-General Sokiti Nisivaki. That is, the Japanese units deployed in Seisin repeatedly outnumbered the Soviet troops allocated for the landing operation. However, the command of the Pacific Fleet did not refuse to conduct the operation and made the final decision on the landing of the marines from ships to the port of Seysin. On August 13, during the afternoon, 10 torpedo boats entered the port of Seisin and landed the 140 reconnaissance detachment under the command of Lieutenant V.N. Hero of the Soviet Union. Leonov, and a company of marines from the 13-th brigade. Recall that Lieutenant Leonov was one of the most experienced Soviet naval intelligence officers - behind this sailor, who received officer shoulder straps, there were more than 50 operations carried out in the rear of the Nazis during his service in the reconnaissance detachment of the Northern Fleet headquarters. The total number of the first group of troops was 181 people, commanded by a group of Colonel A.Z. Denisin - head of the intelligence department of the headquarters of the Pacific Fleet. After the landing, the ships left for Vladivostok - after the next batch of troops, and a small in number advanced group had to take a foothold and strengthened, engaging in battle with the forces of the enemy many times superior in number. In the evening, 7 torpedo boats brought and landed a machine-gun company of 90 marines, but it could not break through to the battlefield of the advanced group and suffered significant losses. On the orders of the fleet commander, in the evening 1 was sent from Vladivostok to the patrol ship and 2 minesweeper, on board of which were soldiers and officers of the 355-th separate battalion of marines. However, the ships reached Sesin only the next day, so on the first day of the operation, the forward detachment had to conduct military operations on its own. The detachment was divided into three groups, which, with a shortage of ammunition, managed to repel counterattacks of the Japanese troops and hold on to the captured positions in the port and the city. It was only in the morning of August 14 that a landing of a battalion of marines from 710 people commanded by Major MP began in Seisin. Barabolko. The Marines managed to break two to three kilometers into the city, but by the night of August 14 the Japanese had managed to push the Soviet soldiers back to the port.
The situation was complicated by the fact that the marine corps battalion was landed away from the three groups of the advanced detachment and could not connect with them, which put the advanced detachment at risk of rapid destruction by Japanese forces that were more numerous in quantity and quantity of ammunition. A detachment of volunteers from among sailors and naval officers sent to Seishin ships was sent to help the marines. 25 volunteers were recruited - under the command of Captain 3rd Rank G.V. Ternovsky. Georgy Vladimirovich Ternovsky (1915-1970) served as the flagship artilleryman of the patrol ships of the Pacific Fleet, and before arriving in the Pacific Ocean he served in the Guard of the water area of the Odessa Naval Base of the Black Sea Fleet. Sailors landed and engaged in battle with the enemy, also capturing several bridgeheads. However, given the small number of volunteers - sailors, they still could not seriously influence the course of hostilities. The position of the Soviet airborne assault was significantly worsened by the lack of sensible air support - since there were no air spotters in the detachments, the aircraft delivered strikes away from the place of military operations in order not to accidentally bomb the positions of the Soviet airborne assault. Meanwhile, a detachment of 23 ships and boats came out of Vladivostok, on the sides of which were soldiers and officers of the 13th Marine Brigade. A little later, the destroyer Voikov and a tank landing barge from 7 left Vladivostok for Seisin tanks T-26 on board. By 4 o’clock in the morning on August 15, the landing of the main landing forces — about 5 thousand people — began in the port of Seishin. However, even the arrival of an entire brigade of marines at first did not entail any serious changes in the position of the Soviet landing in Seishin, since the Japanese garrison fought fierce resistance. Only when the shelling of the city from ships damaged the Japanese armored train did the first tangible turning point in the hostilities ensue. The Japanese units were driven out of the port, after which the marines launched an offensive in the city itself. However, the situation with aviation support remained difficult, although Soviet aviation made 157 sorties. Aviation managed to destroy the railway station, and during the bombing of the station, the Japanese armored train was destroyed. Thus, the Japanese lost one of Seishin's main defenders. But the direct support of the fighting units of the Marine Corps from the air was still lacking. The fleet command decided to rectify the situation by transferring additional marines to Seishin.
The 16 of August at Seisin arrived at the 1 destroyer, the 2 minesweeper, the 3 transport ship, the patrol and border boats that delivered the third echelon of the landing party - the 615 Marines, the 60 guns and mortars and the 94 vehicle. Then another tank landing barge with X-NUMX tanks T-7 and 26 was sent to Seisin, later a patrol ship, minesweeper, 2 landing craft and 6 tank-landing craft delivering military equipment and personnel of the 1 rifle regiment. During the day of August 16, the Soviet troops who landed in Seysin fought on the northern and north-western outskirts of the city. At this time, Japanese troops received news of the order of the emperor of Japan to stop the resistance, after which the surrender of Japanese soldiers and officers began. It lasted for the 17 day of August, and some detachments of the Japanese army did not want to surrender and continued to resist. By 11.30 17 August, the Soviet landing force met with the vanguard of the 25 Army, Colonel-General I.М. Chistyakov, after which part of the Soviet troops were reunited. The Seisin operation ended with the capture of the city. For several days of fighting, Japanese troops suffered losses in about 3000 soldiers and officers killed and captured, 27 of Japanese transport ships were captured, an armored train was destroyed and four aircraft were shot down. As for the Soviet marines and sailors. Then they lost about 300 people killed and missing. Soviet ships almost did not receive damage. The ship’s artillery destroyed the enemy’s 13 firing points, suppressed the 2 anti-aircraft and the 13 artillery and mortar batteries of the enemy, and destroyed about two battalions of Japanese infantry. After winning the Seysin operation, a number of Soviet officers, soldiers and sailors were awarded state awards, including 16 people who received the high title of Heroes of the Soviet Union. Major General V.P., commander of the Marine Brigade, was among those who received the Hero's star. Trushin, commander of a battalion of marines, major MP Barabolko, commander of a company of machine gunners of the Marine Corps, Senior Lieutenant I.M. Yarotsky, platoon commander of the reconnaissance detachment, midshipman A.M. Nikandrov, commander of the Metel sentry ship, captain-lieutenant L.N. Balyakin and other Soviet sailors and marines. The commander of the 140 reconnaissance squadron V.N. Leonov became the twice Hero of the Soviet Union. For the successful conduct of the Seysin operation, the 13 brigade of the marines, the 355 and 365 units of the marine battalions, the 34 bomber aviation regiment of the naval aviation, the 140 th intelligence unit of the Pacific Fleet headquarters were transformed into guards military units. The 10 th aviation division of the dive bomber of the Pacific Fleet, which received the name "Seysinskaya", was also noted. The Seisin operation, despite the numerous miscalculations of the command in its organization, primarily the lack of adjustment of the actions of aviation, went down in history as one of the most striking battles of the Soviet-Japanese war. Gratitude to all personnel of the protection of the water area of the Pacific Fleet was declared Supreme Commander IV.
The defeat of Japan in September 1945 led to dramatic changes in the political situation in the Pacific region. It is precisely to the defeat of Japan that many sovereign states of East and Southeast Asia owe their existence. As for the Soviet Union, it received obvious benefits by returning South Sakhalin and the Kuril Islands, as well as ousting Japan from the territory of the Soviet border region, primarily from Korea and Manchuria. An impetus was given to the further development of the Pacific Fleet, which received new bases and capabilities. In 1950, the Protection of the Water District of the Main Base of the Pacific Fleet (5 of the USSR Navy) was reorganized into the 30 Division of the ships of the protection of the water area of the 5 of the USSR Navy. The division included: headquarters, political department, minelayers Argun and Voroshilovsk, 100-th separate division of patrol ships, 3-th, 12-th and 16-th separate divisions of basic minesweepers, 1-th, 11- 12, 241, 242, 243 and 244 battalions of the raid guard and small submarine hunters, 245 and 1953 divisions. The division of protection of the water area was directly subordinated to the headquarters of the Pacific Fleet. The crew of the brigade took part in the demining of the coastal waters of North Korea before 1961. In 47, the division was reorganized into the XNUMX 5th brigade of water area protection.