1. In the 2004 year, immediately after Saakashvili’s victory in the elections, the heads of all security structures of Georgia were sacked - and, as usual, the road inspectorate became the main target of the reformers. Misha (this is not familiarity, as the president is called even on official sites) delivered an ultimatum: if extortion does not stop on the roads within a week, then all the police will be dismissed after the Minister of the Interior.
After the reform, in the first months of the patrols, the broadcast of the leading television companies was overwhelmed with the staff of giving bribes to the new “traffic cops”, which were filmed with a hidden camera by agents of the special services. Caught on a bribe in the amount of 50 dollars were sent to prison for a period of 10 years. This continued until their colleagues realized that they could not take it. During the first day of the law “On Patrol Police”, about 15 thousands of policemen lost their jobs. Then as much again. For three months Georgia lived without road inspection. At this time, new employees were recruited and trained, and, as a rule, they were young and without experience in the “old” police: the staff was updated with 85%! (In Russia, by the same to 2012, only 20% of policemen will be dismissed).
Before Saakashvili arrived, there were 5000 prisoners in Georgian prisons. After a year of reform - 25 000!
For employees of the new “patrols”, thousands of new Volkswagen Passat, Opel and Skoda were bought, in which they quite successfully began chasing after criminals on the streets.
It is clear that they planted not only servicemen, but also crooks of all stripes, from thieves in law to small pickpockets. Result? Honda stopped near the grocery store - and the driver went shopping, leaving the doors and windows open. Keys stuck in the ignition lock ... They say that all thieves are either sitting or escaping to Russia. Even the “thug romance” has fallen and the disfavor of the new government. Now in the restaurant, for example, you can not order thieves songs.
2. At the same time, the authorities began a campaign to popularize the police. On the streets hung billboards with photos of smiling "patrols" of both sexes. The police were invited — in the American way — to schools to conduct lessons. Georgian children instead of criminals began to play police who catch these criminals.
3. Georgian policemen are not hiding in the bushes - at night, the crews must always keep their flashers on so that they can be seen. With unaccustomed frightening every time, when a patrol car with a flashing light comes after you, but then you get used to it.
4. And this is a service agency of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, where they take exams, issue driver's licenses, put up and deregister cars, register weapon. Up to 2000 people are served here daily.
5. Here you can get right.
6. You can rent it on rights from 18 years. To pass the exam you must pay a fee of 35 dollars. Examinations are similar to ours. First the theory, then the playground. You can come for exams at any time.
7. By the way, there is no medical certificate here, just a test for color blindness before passing the theory. The need for medical references has disappeared, since there is a single base where a policeman can find out if the person being examined has a problem with drugs or psyche. In case of problems, the system simply will not issue a driver's license and no purchased certificates will help. In Russia, almost all drivers of help buy, because no one wants to spend a whole day and run through polyclinics. In Moscow, the certificate costs from 1000 to 1500, you can buy it at every traffic police station.
8. You can take the exam in 8-mi languages, including Russian. Further, everything is standard. 30 issues and 3 errors.
9. Playground for rent on Skoda with manual transmission. Soon promise to buy with a gun.
10. Everything is fixed by the computer.
11. Registration of trans-funds.
12. If a man wants to register or deregister a car, he turns to the girl for a big reception. She herself submits and fills all the necessary documents. The vehicle is cleared and registered in one place. The girl has all the necessary documents. The whole procedure, including customs clearance, takes no more than 15 minutes.
13. The client chooses any number from those presented on the shelves, except for the first one (on the first shelf are paid numbers).
14. Registration price is 40 dollars. This price includes registration services, registration certificate and the number itself.
15. If you don’t like the number, you can choose any other one you like. For this, there is a terminal in the hall. The price is fixed and depends on the number of identical numbers and letters. Standard numbers are three letters and 3 numbers. Depending on the combination “beautiful number” will cost from 70 to 450 dollars. But you can move away from these rules. In Georgia, it is possible to make yourself absolutely any license plate. This service costs 6500 dollars. For example the number with my name, “ILYA”, is free. For all the time, about 65 short numbers have been sold. If there is no money, you can book a room. This service costs 70 cents per day. In reserve hundreds of rooms.
17. From the terminal, the data enters the room where the equipment for printing numbers is installed.
18. The master picks up the signs and starts the workpiece under the press.
20. While the customer pays the fee, the number is already ready. The license plate is not assigned to a specific car and can remain with the owner for life. The agency works 365 days per year, without holidays and weekends.
21. Any number is printed within 5 minutes. The whole procedure of registering a car takes on average 10 minutes. Everything is automated.
22. Requirements for applicants for the position of patrol officer
▪ Georgian citizenship
▪ Age 23-37 years
▪ Knowledge of Georgian (state) language
▪ Higher or incomplete higher education
▪ Knowledge of the Constitution of Georgia (Basic Provisions)
▪ Driving license
23. The department works without days off. Especially a lot of customers on weekends, as the automobile market is located nearby. But there are no queues.
24. The building has representatives of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, tax authorities and customs, all problems can be solved on the spot.
27. Everything is also paid in the hall - there is a bank branch. Pay attention to the number of windows.
28. In the parking lot is a separate booth, where they print the data sheet. Made it to save latency. While the visitor fastens the new numbers, his registration certificate is already ready.
29. Two employees work here
31. All new police stations make it as transparent as possible so that any passerby can see what is happening inside. The new building of the Ministry of Internal Affairs in Tbilisi is also “glass”, but this is already an imitation of transparency. In addition, there are sentries on the approaches - and they do not let them in close without escorts.
32. By the way, bribery did not go away immediately. Head of the Department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Georgia Shota Utiashvili on reform:
“The main consequence of the reforms was the real fight against corruption in the country. In the field of anti-bribery, we warned the police that we would plant them for bribes. As a result, in 2005 alone, more than 200 police officers were planted for bribery. In 2006, there were even more, and only after that the number of policemen arrested for taking bribes began to decline.
The second important aspect in the fight against corruption was a sharp increase in wages to all employees of the Ministry of Internal Affairs. For example, in 2004, my salary was only 100 lar (about 70 US dollars), and now 2300 lar (about 1610 US dollars). That is, my salary during this time has grown 23 times.
Thirdly, the chiefs stopped demanding a tribute from their subordinates, some of which they had previously left for themselves, and some transferred to the top. In addition, many had to dismiss. In particular, if under Shevardnadze there were about 70 thousands of employees in the Ministry of Internal Affairs, now there are 16 thousands of employees in the police and state security units that make up the Ministry of Internal Affairs. In place of the dismissed took new people - young and more motivated.
One of the consequences of reforming the Ministry of Internal Affairs was the new system of personnel recruitment. So, if, under Shevardnadze, a young officer had to pay a bribe to get a job at the Ministry of Internal Affairs, now this is no longer the case. Currently, there is an 4-stage system for the selection of police officers, consisting of numerous tests. ”
33. Police patrol service: “If before the reptile was the one who pledged, will hand over his, then now the traitor is the one who takes the bribe, who substitutes his children. In the six years after the reform, the legal consciousness in the police has reached the “point of no return”, but everything is moving towards that. For a bribe will be sent on the bench not only those who took and gave, but the concealers. Although lately, patrol officers are more and more satisfied with “setting up” not so much to identify bribe takers (the problem has lost relevance), but rather to control the fulfillment of all duties. ”
37. Dining room in the building of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Georgia
39. Arms of patrol service: - Israeli-made pistols “Jericho-941”, rubber batons, stun guns
40. By the way, the inspection has suffered the same fate as medical certificates. In Georgia, they considered that, as a hotbed of corruption, technical inspection does more harm than good, and canceled it at least until 2012, until a mechanism appears that excludes bribes. For the same reasons, by the way, the Sanitary and Epidemiological Surveillance and Fire Inspections were canceled ... Naturally, there were no more cockroaches or fires in Georgia.
There is no annual transport tax in Georgia. The only significant tax on car owners is customs duty, which depends on the year of production of the car and engine size. Curiously, the customs clearance of new cars is more expensive than second-hand. For example, for a car released in the current or last year - one and a half lari (a little more than a dollar) for the "cube" of the working volume, for a five year period - one lari each, if the car is ten years old - 0,5 lari, and only starting from 13- summer age rates are rising again: for customs clearance 15-year-old car - on 0,8 GEL for the "cube".
This is a reform ... For the sake of justice, it is worth noting that such remarkable changes did not happen everywhere. As one friend told me: “Yes, now the traffic police do not know, but investigators, investigators, etc. the old ones remained, so that rudeness and corruption had not yet completely disappeared from the bodies. ”Corruption, they say, remained, it just went upstairs. But this is also a good result.