The armored wheeled vehicle for border troops BPM-97 (KAMAZ-43269) was developed by the open joint-stock company Kamsky Automobile Plant together with the Center for Technical Cooperation under the Moscow State Technical University. Bauman ”in accordance with the approved tactical and technical requirements (TTZ) from October 06 1996 year. Production of enclosures for BPM-97 was established at OJSC Kurganmashzavod. The very same armored wheeled vehicle for the border troops of BPM-97 was assembled at the subsidiary of KAMAZ OJSC ZAO Remdizel.
The interdepartmental commission appointed by the order of the Frontier Service of the FSB of Russia conducted State acceptance tests and approved design documentation, modified according to the results of state tests, for mass production.
In the course of the work, the design documentation for KAMAZ-43269 was developed, including the armored hull of a linear machine (without a tower) and a building with a tower combat compartment; one prototype (unarmored) and 3 prototype armored specimens were manufactured; factory and acceptance tests and evaluation of the protective properties of a single sample were carried out; The machines were certified for compliance with traffic regulations and international requirements and obtained from the Gosstandart Type Approval of the Vehicle.
By decision of the interdepartmental commission, it was recommended to take on the supply of the Border Guard Service of the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation an armored wheeled vehicle for border troops of BPM-97
By order of the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation, an armored wheeled vehicle for border troops of the BPM-97 KAMAZ-43269 was accepted for supplying the Border Guard Service of the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation.
Intelligence patrol vehicle "Dozor" based on the "Shot" with various weapons options
On the achieved result, KAMAZ did not plan to complete work on this topic. In the period from 2005 to 2008, a corporate program was implemented at the expense of KAMAZ’s own funds, which included upgrading a two-axle vehicle such as 4Х4 and creating modifications to the wheel formula such as 6Х6, 8Х8 as part of the tactical technical task agreed by GABTU.
Due to the global financial crisis that occurred in 2008, in order to optimize and reduce the expenses of KAMAZ OJSC, work on automobiles of the wheel formula like 6х6, 8Х8 were suspended at the stage of testing prototypes and today, taking into account the start of work on the Tayfun OCR, the continuation of work on automobiles of the wheel formula such as 6х6, 8х8 is rated as inappropriate.
Jointly with the GABTU MO RF, the Decision “On the Organization of Compliance Assessment of the KAMAZ-43269 Armored Four-Wheel-Drive Vehicle (the Shot Project) to the requirements of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation” decided to conduct accelerated State tests of a prototype protected KAMAZ-43269 vehicle.
The purpose of the tests was to verify and confirm the compliance of the tactical-technical and operational characteristics of the prototype KAMAZ-43269 vehicle with the TTZ requirements in the agreed scope and issue recommendations on the possibility of accepting a KAMAZ-43269 protected vehicle for the supply of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.
A prototype of a protected KAMAZ-43269 vehicle was designed and developed for delivery to the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation. In order to optimize the hull design and save money, the hull for the protected vehicle was manufactured at Rubtsovsk Machine-Building Plant OJSC
After the State tests, an interdepartmental commission was established to review the results of the tests and changes in the design documentation, on the basis of which a decision was made to recommend a protected KAMAZ-43269 vehicle to be supplied to the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.
By the order of the Head of the Armored Vehicle Directorate of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation (NGABTU of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation), the base chassis for special vehicles KAMAZ-43269 was accepted for supply to the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.
Overcoming the ditch with water (Bronnitsy)
As part of the modernization (design changes) of the base chassis KAMAZ-43269, a number of design changes were made according to the results of troop operation and type tests, in particular:
- Introduced air filter foam construction
- A new design of a windshield glazing unit has been applied.
- Introduced new swinging hatches
- Air conditioner evaporator installed in the roof niche
- Installed FVU in the rear of the case
- Introduced hinged cover TB casing
- Increased the distance between the floor and the upper edge of the TB on 150 mm
- Changed the coordinates of the driver's hatch
- Added additional bottom protection
- Increased the opening of the engine compartment in the projection of the frontal sheet
- The installation of the spare wheel
- Changed pipeline laying
- Heater rendered from under the hood
- Increased roof height by 150 mm
- Introduced manual gearbox
- Introduced a new adjustable seat on the air suspension.
- Introduced battery 6TTSTS100A smaller dimensions.
- Molecular energy storage MNE-100 / 24 was introduced to facilitate the start.
The upgraded "Shot" looks like this (Since the modernization process does not stand still, there is no spare wheel in the photo, which is located on the site of the right aft door)
Reservations. It is stated that the top of the body holds the 12.7-mm bullets from the NSV machine gun, the lower part of the body and the feed are 7.62-mm bullets from the SVD.
Visual display of what has changed in the modernized car
New in protection
Some more improvements on video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9s9AIx21T0
- the old winch that caused the complaints was replaced by a more modern one;
- A stabilizer bar appeared on the car on the rear axle, it will be installed on the front axle;
- so that the devices do not give light at night on the glass in front of the driver, which was in the old versions, they make a visor;
- Seats for more mine stability hung on the side panels. Now they are not located transversely, but along the sides, which was achieved by decreasing the wheel well. Each seat has seat belts;
- a new version of polyurethane foam upholstery has appeared, which retains heat better;
- A spare wheel that has appeared at the request of the Ministry of Defense can lower and change one person using a special block system. Unfortunately, the emergence of the spare wheel led to the overlap of the right aft door and reduced the payload of the machine by 200 kg (to 1000 kg)
- for the convenience of the crew, the height of the crew compartment was increased, which led to an increase in the overall height of the vehicle by 150 mm;
- it is planned to replace the current heaters 1XX4KW and 1X8KW with 2X8KW associated with the filter-ventilation unit.
In 90-ies, the "Shot" was developed as a machine for border patrols, which leaves a certain imprint on the possibilities of modernization, i.e. make it a MRAP, for example, fail.
Tests of the modernized "Shot" in the mountains