What is New Russia and what it will be
Let's turn to the very meaning behind the name of the new state - Novorossia, New Russia. This is a beautiful name, isn't it? What is your association?
- The name is beautiful. Appealed to the future by its very meaning. And, simultaneously, associated with history. Personally, I have the first association with the city of Novorossiysk, where my sister lives. But maybe the name is not the most important thing.
Historical territories of the Northern Black Sea region, which were part of the Russian Empire, were called Novorossia. Now they began to talk about the process of collecting land by Russia, with regard to the annexation of the Crimea, the term “restoration of historical justice” sounded. How relevant is the historical factor for today's Novorossia? Why was New Russia revived right now?
“Oh, the past is a dangerous thing.” It's like a powder keg. Of course, the Northern Pontic is Russia. New or something else there, but Russia. And the point is not only that this was once in history, but also that in 20 years after the collapse of the USSR this land did not become, did not want to become something else. All those who wanted - steel. It had plenty of time. But New Russia did not want to become non-Russia. This, I think, is the reason for everything.
Detractors say that Novorossia is a “virtual education” and do not want to believe in its existence. What arguments can you argue in favor of the reality of New Russia? whether it will receive formal international recognition? Or is Novorossia waiting for the fate of Transnistria, South Ossetia, Abkhazia? How do you think?
- Transnistria, South Ossetia and Abkhazia have a completely normal fate. We hope that the fate of Novorossia will be at least as good. There will always be detractors who will say something. It is necessary to build a de facto state. The practice of international law is such that de facto states sooner or later become de jure states.
What is the novelty of this state, in your opinion, how does the New Russia differ from other countries and state entities?
- The novelty, probably, is that for the first time in modern times it was the Russians who spoke out for their statehood. Usually Russians, remaining in the minority in other countries, more or less resign themselves to their role. But here the Russians and Ukrainians, oriented not toward the West, but towards independent historical being, became the subject of the historical process.
What territory do you see behind Novorossia in the end? If you go back to history again, Kharkiv, Nikolaev, Odessa, Kherson, Tiraspol and other areas previously entered Novorossia.
- I think it would be good so far to consolidate the de facto state in the territories of Donetsk and Lugansk regions. Do not get involved in build-up areas. This is not a matter of the amount of land, but as a state precedent.
What language (languages) and religion would you suggest for Novorossia as official, and why?
“Unfortunately, I don’t know local realities so well that I can advise something there.” But it is obvious that the language is Russian, the culture is Russian, Russian. And nowhere should religion be made official and state. Religion is an internal matter, a matter of the soul.
Which of today's heroes of Novorossia cause your sympathy, for whom you follow with interest, which of these people do you see as the main leader of Novorossiya? Which city has become the capital?
- Of course, Strelkov and Motorola are very bright personalities, warriors. Leader I would not allocate. The point is not the leader, but the mass of people who are able to defend their interests. All of them are cute to me. And let Slavyansk be the capital if you ask me. It has already become a legendary city.
What status is most acceptable for Novorossia — an independent entity, as part of the Customs and Eurasian Unions, or as part of Russia?
- To begin with, it would be quite nice if Novorossia remained within Ukraine as a subject of a federation or confederation. And then people would calmly decide how and with whom they should develop. The status of the subject of the Federation of Ukraine would protect the minimum rights of the population to their language, culture, and their economy. And I would not have to fight. After all, war is always bad. But the problem is that Kiev is categorically against federalization! So this is their choice, the choice of Kiev is that compromises have become impossible. Kiev started the war and pushed Novorossia to the secession. Now New Russia will be an independent state, better if one. It is not necessary to enter the Russian Federation. And of course, it is necessary to enter the Customs and Eurasian Unions.
Do you like the motto of Novorossia "Will and Labor"? What could you propose from your side as a slogan-motto of this state?
- I like the motto, it echoes Russian socialism, populism. I would like to advise that the builders of the new state pay more attention not only to the national side of ideology, but also to the social one. We need a strong left-wing idea, socialism. Russian socialism.
Have you been on the territory of New Russia?
- No, alas, I was not in New Russia. And I have never been to Ukraine. Somehow it happened that no. But I, probably, will go. I would even take part in state building. I don’t have any military specialty, I don’t know how to fight, and I don’t want to, I can’t - I need to have a different psychophysical status. And I am a vegetarian, I will not even cut a ram, let alone kill people. But I would work as a lawyer to build the legal system of Novorossia. Well, the smallest minor assistant.
The mission of the people of art, culture, literature is to be visionaries. Do you already have the image of New Russia in your work?
- I already wrote a little story, “Last Spring” is called. Our friend Sergey Shargunov traveled to Novorossia at the height of the fighting. Surely write something serious. And in general, it turned out that we live again in an epic time. Such people near us! Such events! So, the novels will be about this, real ones. And movies. Because the main thing that we lacked in art was real heroes, real events. Now they are.
What future of New Russia do you see when, as you think, peace will come on this earth?
- Probably, everything will not be quickly adjusted. But then everything will be fine. The main thing is that the hostilities should end soon and people should be given a quiet, peaceful life as they themselves want, as they chose for themselves in a referendum.
Subscribe and stay up to date with the latest news and the most important events of the day.