Russia can today create a system similar to the American rapid global strike. To do this, it is necessary to correctly formulate its tasks and determine the place in the general armament system. The Russian global strike will significantly increase the defense capability of our country, as well as to a certain extent the threshold for the transition to the use of nuclear weapons. weapons.
The terrorist war, initiated and supported by external forces, has been waged against Russia for a long time.
The US government set an example of the correct response to threats of this kind as early as 2007, when Congress approved the concept of a quick global strike. In accordance with it, in the event of a threat of an armed attack on the United States or American objects, as well as citizens abroad, the American armed forces should in the shortest possible time launch a rocket attack of high power and accuracy at any point on the globe in order to neutralize the danger.
Russia has strategic cruise missiles in non-nuclear equipment. These include missiles for submarines of the "Caliber" type and air-based X-555. Judging by media reports, a new non-nuclear cruise air-launched missile X-101 has also been adopted. Tactical and technical data of these missiles are not inferior to the US, and for a number of indicators, in particular in terms of firing range, are far superior. Thus, the X-555 missile firing range, again according to media reports, is about two thousand kilometers, and the newest X-101 is more than five thousand, with the prospect of an increase to ten thousand.
According to military experts, the Tu-160 is able to receive up to 12 of such missiles, and the Tu-95 MS - up to eight on an external sling. The combat load of the Tu-22М3 can amount to four cruise missiles. Judging by the published data, it is possible to deploy sea-based cruise missiles up to 32 on submarines Yasen.
Thus, Russia has quite modern models of strategic non-nuclear weapons and is capable of having its own system of global strike, similar to the American one.
In determining the goals of creating such a Russian system of global strike, it is necessary to correctly select the threats for which it should be created to parry. Judging by the exercises, the United States is creating its own system of rapid global strike in order to be able to defeat any country and force it to surrender on American terms by delivering massive strikes with high-precision conventional weapons. Russia is not going to act in such ways. Analysis of the existing military threats for our country shows that it is advisable to assign the following tasks to the Russian system of a similar purpose:
1. Implementing strategic non-nuclear deterrence with the threat of causing unacceptable damage to a potential aggressor.
2. Disorganization and destruction of terrorist organizations and other transnational criminal structures that are sources of threats to the national security of Russia and its allies.
3. The defeat of objects in the operations of multinational forces conducted by a UN mandate.
The mechanism of strategic non-nuclear deterrence is based on the principle of the possibility of causing a potential aggressor of such damage that exceeds the likely gain in the event of the achievement of the ultimate goals of aggression, mainly in the economic sphere.
The targets of strikes in this case are enterprises that are critically important for the enemy’s economy, as well as various objects that are dangerous from an environmental point of view: nuclear power plants, dams, chemical enterprises, scientific and other nuclear centers and enterprises where work is done with large amounts of radioactive materials, and also hazardous chemical and biological substances.
The defeat of such backbone economic objects will lead to the collapse of the most important sectors of the economy of the aggressor for a relatively long time. And the destruction of environmentally hazardous facilities will cause large-scale contamination and flooding that will make large areas unfit for habitation, like in Chernobyl or Fukushima.
In the case of neutralization of a large-scale military threat, casting doubt on the very existence of the Russian state, the main instrument of deterrence is strategic and tactical nuclear weapons. Therefore, non-nuclear strategic deterrence is advisable to carry out in the event of threats of a relatively small local nature, the scale of a local war. Such conflicts can, most likely, be unleashed against Russia's close allies, and then be drawn into this conflict. Its initiator, judging by the experience of the past decades, can become a medium or even small in size and potential state that will count on the support of one of the largest geopolitical players.
The threat that Russia will cause unacceptable damage to this state without resorting to nuclear weapons will prove to be a weighty deterrent. The number of targets may be relatively small - from several units to two or three dozen. Their location is well known, since they are stationary. Therefore, it is possible to prepare all the initial data for strikes in advance. Only artificially created changes in the arrangement of elements of such objects and the surrounding relief, carried out as part of the operational camouflage measures in preparation for war, may need to be refined. They must be identified by means of intelligence.
Such objects, as a rule, have powerful air defense. Therefore, their defeat is advisable to carry out strategic cruise missiles.
The task of disorganizing and destroying terrorist organizations, as well as transnational criminal structures that are sources of threats to the national security of Russia and its allies, can become one of the most important and most relevant in modern conditions. Actually, over the past 20 years, ensuring the integrity and indivisibility of Russia as a state has been the main task of our Armed Forces and special services.
The targets for strategic non-nuclear weapons in the structure of terrorist organizations can be attributed mainly to fairly large objects, on whose territory a large number of militants and their commanders are located, as well as the location of persons from among the leaders of the operational unit. These are, in particular, camps for the training and rest of militants, the areas of deployment of their large formations that solve the tasks of retaining certain territories, places of storage and handicraft production of weapons and ammunition.
According to international law, Russia has every reason to strike at bases and camps for training militants, control centers for terrorist organizations located in the territory of other states if they do not want or can not stop their activities on their territory with their own forces. This is especially true if countries that host terrorists use them as military force against Russia or its allies.
The number of targets for strategic non-nuclear weapons in the structure of terrorist organizations is small and is measured in units.
Their location is also relatively stable, so that all the initial data for strikes against such objects can be prepared in advance. However, they can be well disguised and, if they are detected, they are quickly abandoned by the militants. In this regard, the time of the strike must be chosen very carefully. Therefore, the main task is to identify periods of concentration of the largest number of representatives of the leadership, command, advisers and representatives of external support structures of a terrorist organization. In terms of duration, the maximum concentration of such figures on one of the objects can be on average from several hours to a day or more. This places extremely high demands on the intelligence system.
The destruction of objects in the operations of a multinational force under a UN mandate should be carried out according to appropriate plans with a clear target indication from the intelligence system of the coalition group. The number of objects to be hit will be determined by the allocated weapon resource, which will be coordinated at the highest international level.
Full combat system
It is absolutely obvious that the Russian global strike should be a full-fledged combat system, including, in addition to the actual strike components, the intelligence and observation subsystem, command posts and communications, as well as comprehensive support.
Its combat strength and strength should be calculated on the basis of meeting certain criteria. The most important of them are:
1. Average reaction time. It consists of the time of detecting the fact of the need to influence the object, making decisions and setting tasks for forces, in particular, preparing and entering flight missions for cruise missiles and delivering weapons to the target. The reaction of the combat system should be faster than the possibility of withdrawal from the object of destruction. Of the listed potential objects of the Russian global strike system, various terrorist organizations and illegal armed groups will require the highest efficiency for their defeat. The required reaction time can be up to 12 hours. Based on the fact that it takes up to four to six hours to deliver a weapon to a target for a range of about 3000 – 5000 kilometers, no more than six to eight hours remain for the entire exploration and control cycle. The bulk of this time will be spent on the work of the intelligence system and the preparation of flight missions for cruise missiles.
2. The power of the impact on the target, which is determined by the quantity and quality of ammunition delivered to it and the accuracy of their hit. From the analysis of the nature of the objects of impact of the Russian system of global strike, it follows that the basis of its strike components must be strategic non-nuclear cruise missiles, as well as their carriers. The number of rocket weapons allocated to destroy a specific object must ensure its destruction. The experience of the combat use of Tomahawk missiles and estimates based on it show that to defeat an object of the type “medium enterprise” or “airfield” it is required from 8 – 10 to 15 – 20 cruise missiles, taking into account possible counteraction of air defense forces and weapons . The required expenditure of these weapons to defeat an area target of the “camp of terrorists” with the destruction of up to 70 percent of the personnel in it can range from 4 – 5 to 10 – 12 missiles.
The basis of the intelligence subsystem should be a space system using various reconnaissance satellites. This follows from the requirement of global intelligence. Their number and viewing band of each will serve the purpose of providing observation of any fragment of the earth's surface important for Russia regions of the world with a frequency of at least once every two to three hours. At the same time, the reliability of identifying and classifying potential targets of destruction must be at least 80 – 90 percent. Such indicators can be achieved through the integration of intelligence tools, including promising, equipped with hyperspectral analysis equipment.
An extremely important function of the reconnaissance system should be the provision of basic geodetic data for the development of flight missions for cruise missiles.
The achieved accuracy of determining the location of the Russian GLONASS system completely ensures the withdrawal of cruise missiles to the target area for the further successful operation of its homing head.
The required number of weapons and their carriers is determined by the volume of fire tasks that can be assigned to the Russian system of global strike. The total required number of cruise missiles, taking into account their repeated use for reconstructed or unaffected objects to solve the problem of strategic non-nuclear deterrence, can be estimated in 2500 – 3000 units. For other tasks - significantly less.
The required number of carriers is determined by the required composition of the salvo, which in the first strike when solving the problem of strategic non-nuclear deterrence can be estimated in 800 – 1200 missiles. This will allow to destroy or disable the order of 40 – 60 objects.
Existing strategic and long-range combat personnel aviation (subject to modernization of the air fleet with the possibility of using strategic non-nuclear missiles) it can use in the first strike from 400 to 800 or more cruise missiles, depending on the allocated resource and combat stability of the aviation group.
The remaining missiles must be launched from submarines and surface ships. The open source data on the shipbuilding program of Russia allows a rough estimate of the maximum possible salvo of sea-based cruise missiles in 250 – 300 units.
Would significantly increase the opportunities fleet to solve the problems of strategic non-nuclear deterrence, the modernization of heavy missile submarine cruisers (TRPK SN) of Project 941 into carriers of strategic cruise missiles. The Americans did similar with part of their Ohio-class submarines. From a comparison of the size of the Ohio, each of which has up to 150 cruise missiles, and our TRNK SN, it can be assumed that the latter will accommodate, according to rough estimates, up to 200–250 cruise missiles. Three surviving submarines could use from 600 to 750 missiles in a salvo. Thus, the Russian Navy could use up to 1000 cruise missiles in the first salvo, which would be enough to cause unacceptable damage to the enemy’s economy.
The most important condition for building a Russian global strike system is the creation of a subsystem for operational development, commissioning and updating of flight missions for cruise missiles. Tasks should be prepared in a period not exceeding three hours. This is a rather complicated procedure, coupled with the choice of an expedient flight path for these missiles to bypass the enemy’s air defense zones, selecting correction terrain areas and entering necessary data into the rocket, creating and entering the target’s “portrait” into the homing head. At such times, this can only be done using the electronic terrain mapping system on a global scale and updating the data sets in real time.
An analysis of the minimum necessary composition of the Russian global strike system shows that its creation is quite feasible in the near future. Among the priority areas of its formation should include:
1. Building up a global space reconnaissance system with ensuring periodicity of viewing important for Russia regions of the world at least once every two to three hours and integrating reconnaissance facilities, including promising, equipped with hyperspectral analysis equipment.
2. Creation of a subsystem for operational development, entry and updating of flight missions for cruise missiles based on the deployment of an electronic terrain mapping system on a global scale, providing for the updating of arrays of these data in real time.
3. Procurement of at least 2500 – 3000 non-nuclear strategic cruise missiles with the deployment of production facilities for the operational replenishment of the spent weapons.
4. Modernization of the fleet of strategic and long-range aviation to give it the possibility of using strategic non-nuclear missiles.
5. Modernization of the 941 TRPK SN into carriers of strategic non-nuclear cruise missiles.
Such a very incomplete and relatively inexpensive set of measures will allow Russia to receive in the medium term its own system of global strike, which will fully meet its requirements.