Military Review

K-122 Ave. 659T. Search US Navy SSBN, participation in exercises "Ocean", April-May 1970

K-122 Ave. 659T. Search US Navy SSBN, participation in exercises "Ocean", April-May 1970

Preparing to exit the factory (in abbreviation)

In June, when carrying out mooring tests with the actual introduction of the main power plant of both sides, steam supply to the turbine and to other auxiliary equipment of the electromechanical warhead, the submarine chemical service detected an increase in gas activity in the turbine compartment in June. The additional control carried out by portable devices for monitoring gas activity in the reactor and turbine compartments, and using the density control system of steam generators in the turbine compartment nadtechka mode made it possible to make an assumption about the leakage of the titanium steam generator, as reported by the team.

After clarification, an order was received to withdraw the GEM. No one could believe that the titanium steam generator had flowed, moreover, representatives of the design bureau and manufacturer were presented for the USSR State Prize. A “high” commission consisting of representatives was created fleet, military acceptance, Zvezda plant, designers of titanium steam generators and manufacturer. A power plant was commissioned and mooring trials continued, but under the control of commission members. The ongoing leak search measures confirmed the crew’s assumption that the steam generator of the 4th pair of the starboard power plant is flowing. The current steam generator was found, it turned out to be steam generator No. 7. The commission decided: while disconnecting it “by water”, and during the period of finishing work, cut the pipelines along the 1st and 2nd circuit and weld the plugs on “water” and “steam” on the steam generator No.-7. Which was done. Prior to the current repair, the K-122 nuclear submarine passed without steam generator No. 7 on the starboard power plant. For me, this incident was the first practical experience in ensuring radiation safety in a nuclear submarine. The second half of 1968 was held at sea access to sea and state trials. Since the K-122 submarine was leading the project 659T, there were a lot of comments on the operation of mechanisms and equipment, and their factory and designers had to eliminate them after each outing to sea. I remember such a case. In the passage corridor of the residential part of the 2nd compartment, a junction box (RC) of electrical consumers was installed, more than one submariner cut his head about it.

After each exit to the sea, they wrote a remark: move the RC to the side by 150 mm, the cable length allowed. When the remark reached the chief designer O.Ya. Margolin, he wrote the resolution: “Refuse! Installed by project! ”. At one of the outlets into the sea, Osher Yakovlevich went to the 1 section of the latrine, (he was tall, under 190 cm), passing along the corridor, crashed his head into this RK and cut his head to blood. The watchhead electrician of the 2 compartment, seeing this, said that at last RK would be put aside. In response, Osher Yakovlevich replied: “Never!”. So she stayed in her place until the state act of transferring nuclear submarines after modernization from industry to the fleet was signed and, during the period of finishing works at the beginning of 1969, this unfortunate RK electric welder digested alcohol, as it was convenient for us, for 250 g. So this "difficult" problem with RK was solved at the level of the working plant. The state act of transferring the nuclear submarine K-122 after upgrading from industry to the Pacific Fleet, after a long delay and coordination, was signed on December 31 1968 with the condition that it had comments on the operation of the equipment and weapons identified state tests, the plant "Zvezda" will eliminate during January and February during the period of the finishing works on the submarine. A separate paragraph of the act was set a one-year warranty period to eliminate comments on the operation of equipment and armament of a submarine, identified during its operation at sea and in the database.

Search for US Navy SSBNs

At the beginning of April, 1970, after eight days of marching, the nuclear submarine K-122 occupied its combat area in 100 miles west of Fr. Okinotori (Japan), 100х200 miles in size, in which, as suggested by the operational management of the headquarters of the Navy of the USSR, the nuclear-powered submarine of a strategic purpose carries out combat patrols type "Lafayette" from the 15 squadron of the US Navy. We began to perform the main task assigned by the Commander-in-Chief of the USSR Navy to the crew of the K-122 submarine at the preparatory stage of the Ocean exercise.

The search for nuclear submarines of strategic purpose of the US Navy was carried out using the MG-200 “Arktika-M” hydroacoustic station in the mode of noise-targeting and experimental 2-x channel equipment searching for submarines and surface ships (ships) to monitor changes in temperature and optical parameters of the wake trail ships. The estimated area of ​​the US Navy’s strategic naval submarine combat patrol was far from the recommended ocean routes for ships to transfer from the Philippine Islands to Japan, to the Polynesian Islands and to America, therefore, only on the seventh day, staying in the area using experimental 2-channel the equipment for searching submarines and surface ships (ships) discovered the wake.

After maneuvering with a change in course and depth, they determined the belonging of the wake to the submarine. They introduced the main power plant of the left side and transferred the work of the turbines from the main power plants of their side. At the communication session, they reported to the command post of the General Staff of the Navy about the detection of the wake of the submarine, received orders from the command post to establish tracking of the submarine and transfer to the 4-x communication session with the coast. We plunged and began tracking the submarine along the wake, periodically increasing the speed of the submarine to 18 nodes. The maneuvering of our submarine was very difficult, since the foreign submarine spent not one day in the area, changing the depth of the dive and the course, its wake did not dissipate, remained. It was very difficult to understand the determination of its direction of motion, and only on the 2 day of tracking, the operator of the 2 channel equipment reported that the temperature and optical parameters of the wake began to increase, that is, we entered the direct course of a foreign submarine.

Since we had to float every 4 hours to a communication session to transmit a report on tracking a foreign submarine and to determine its place once a day during a communication session, the foreign submarine broke away from us, increasing the distance between us. Therefore, so that it does not come off from us, we are forced to increase the speed to 24 knots, driving the submarine in depth with large stern rudders. On the third day of tracking, we probably approached a foreign submarine at a distance of about 60-70 cab., At a distance of using its torpedo weapons with a high probability of hitting our submarine, she measured the distance between us in the active mode, in the echo direction finding mode. Our acoustics classified the sonar as belonging to a nuclear missile submarine, thus confirming the assumption of the operational control of the Navy General Staff about the presence of a strategic nuclear submarine of the US Navy on combat patrols in this area. As for our nuclear submarines, as well as for foreign ones, the best maneuver of separation from the tracking ship is the highest speed, and the race for the leader began from that moment. The American submarine broke away from us with the speed of the fullest 25,5 nodes and periodically 1-2 once a day measured the distance between us in active mode, in echo directioning mode, and since we had to float on the periscope depth for passing the report about 4 hours tracking a submarine, telling W = ... °, D = ... °, Course = ... °, and Speed ​​= ... knots., a type of hydrology, then we had to keep the speed of the fullest 30 knots to maintain the distance to the American submarine and depth of immersion 150-170 I moat.

On the second day of the detachment of an American submarine from us from 04-00 to 08-00, the 1 watch shift (the most advanced) was on watch: the deputy commander of the division, Captain 1 of rank G. Suchkov, was in the central post, the senior officer of the commander was Captain 2 of rank V.Pushkarev, watch officer captain 3 of rank R.Laletin, watch engineer-mechanic captain 3 of rank G.Ogarkov. I will present my personal impressions, as well as reports by the foreman of the team of the turbinists of the warrant officer N. Grachev, to whom we owe much, but simply to tell our lives, and to the senior assistant commander of the captain 2 rank V. Pushkarev of the commission of the KTOF headquarters.

Personal impressions.
I was keeping watch in the central dosimetric station of the submarine in the 7-m compartment. During the watchkeeping divorce, the watch officer captain 3 of rank R.Laletin told us that we were tracking the American submarine, we were going at a depth of 170 m, the speed of 30 knots, drew attention to the watch keeping. Around 6 hours of the morning, when two combat shifts were asleep, I felt that the submarine began to increase the trim on the nose. Noise vibration submarine hull said that the speed does not change. From the water level in the decanter it was possible to judge that the trim is growing - 10 °, 15 °, 20 °, 25 ° .... Time stopped for me, I imagined the submarine rushing rapidly into the depths. I put my feet on the power unit of the dosimetric monitoring unit and asked myself the question: “Why don't they take measures in the central post?” I looked at the durable submarine hull and waited for the crack and darkness to come ... (a case occurred to my mind the death of the American nuclear submarine "Tresher"described in the press in 1967).

From the compartment came the noise of falling objects. Through the bulkhead door, which was not battened down, of the console of the main power plant, the sound of the turbine telegraph rang out. The submarine trembled, the sound of the hiss of high-pressure air being fed into the main ballast tanks rang out. “Finally, measures are being taken in the central post. So we will live! ”- I thought. Gradually, the growth of trim stopped, as the operators of the main power plant said, stopped at 32 ° and began to depart (decrease), then went to the stern and reached 20 °. Then the trim began to move away and settled near 0 °, due to the noise of the submarine hull, I thought that I had begun to increase the speed of travel.

The report of the foreman of the turbinist team of midshipman N. Grachev to the members of the commission of the KTOF headquarters after the march.
After the shift of the watch with the change arrived in the turbine 6-th compartment. They took the watch, reported to the console of the main power plant about the work of the mechanisms of the turbine compartment and the fact that both turbines are working "The most complete forward!". Around 6 in the morning, the trim began to grow on the nose. With 12 ° trim on the nose without orders from the console of the main power plant and from the watch of mechanical engineer turned the protection of turbines to "manual". With the constant growth of trim on the nose, I waited for the team from the console of the main power plant and from the watch engineer-mechanic to supply steam to the blades of the reverse turbine. Upon reaching the trim 25 ° on the nose, without waiting for orders to change the mode of operation of the turbines from the console of the main power plant and from the watch mechanical engineer independently ordered the watch on shunting devices - "Reverse!". When the turbines were “taken away”, working on the reverse and pulling up the submarine, the trim stopped at 32 ° on the nose, and only then the order came from the central post and later from the console of the main power plant transmitted by the turbine telegraphs to both turbines - “Reverse”. When the 15 ° trim was reached aft, as ordered by the central power station and the console of the main power plant, the turbine telegraphs “Both small turbines ahead”, commanded the “Small forward speeds” watch on duty.

Report of the senior assistant commander of the captain 2 rank V.Pushkarev to members of the KTOF committee after the march.
In 04-05, a report was received from the watch officer captain 3, rank R. Laletin, about taking over the 1 watch shift on duty. He reported to the deputy division commander, Captain 1, rank G.Suchkov, who was in the navigator's cabin, about receiving the watch, as well as tracking the American submarine, the submerged depth of the submarine-170 meters, the speed of 30 nodes, under the keel-6100m. In 05-45, he asked the captain of 1 rank G. Suchkov to go to the latrine on the 2 th deck of the 3 compartment. Having closed the door of the latrine, I felt the growth of the trim on the nose, there was a noise, a crash of falling metal boxes with spare parts, placed behind the latrine door at the bulkhead of the compartment. I tried to open the door of the latrine, but the door was jammed with a metal box with a ZIP, leaving a small gap.

He sat down on the toilet and thought: “Is it really necessary to take death in the latrine?”. He got up, barely slipped his left hand into the slot, took a hand over the handle of the ZIP box, lifted it and put it on the electrical panel of the ventilation system of the room of the converters of the communication unit, located to the left of the latrine door and fixed at a height 1,0 meter (then in a calm atmosphere I was able to lift box only for height 40 cm). Ran to the central post, by this time the rank 1 captain G.Suchkov gave command of the turbine telegraphs to the turbine compartment "Reverse" and the control panel of the main power plant, and the watch engineer-captain 3 rank G.Ogarkov gave high pressure air to the bow group of tanks main ballast in order to reduce the trim on the nose and the submersion of the submarine. When trim was released, the air from the bow group of the main ballast tanks was not removed in time and did not move ahead in time, the submarine with the trim aft jumped to the surface and plunged. He commanded the watch engineer a mechanic to remove air from the bow group of tanks of the main ballast, when the trim went to 15 ° aft, he commanded to move "Both small turbines forward! Dive to a depth of 100 meters." With the trim 0 ° commanded "Look around in the compartments!". After the report from the compartments "The compartments are inspected, there are no comments," the submarine commander decided to continue tracking the American submarine.

In 08-15, after changing from the watch, I went to the mess room for breakfast, and the captain of 1 rank V. Kopyev sat there. When he saw the incoming officers, he said that he would make of us real submariners, to which I joked: “You, comrade comrade, bring us only to the pier!” He remembered my joke and, upon his arrival at the base, he commanded the assistant commander so that I would step in on duty on command. Gone day swimming. During this time, at all levels of the crew, there was a discussion of the casting of large horizontal rudders to “dive” at a speed of 30 knots and a dive from the depth of 170 m, in a matter of seconds, to a depth of 270 m. In the next days, 04-00 again took over the watch 1- I am a battle shift. The emergency casting of large horizontal rudders repeated an hour and a half after receiving the watch, but the Central Substation Watch and the Main Power Plant Control Panel quickly worked, preventing the trim from increasing more than 12 ° and not diving through the depth of the submarine. This alarmed the command of the submarine. After breakfast, they dropped the course to the smallest, subdifferentiated the submarine and switched to managing large stern rudders from the local post in the 9 compartment. When the manipulator of the control of the large stern rudders was dismantled, they found and pulled out a small piece of ceramics that lay on top of the contacts, the contactors, on the rudder “immersion”. The helmsmen recalled that at the end of February a guarantee group arrived at the Zvezda shipyard, which dealt with the rudders, while none of the helmsman controlled them. There were no more large horizontal stern spells.

Analyzing the incident, we, the crew members, came to the conclusion that if the foreman of the turbinist team, midshipman Nikolai Mikhailovich Grachev, did not know the instructions for using the turbine well enough, he was an insecure and initiative-free person, then we shared the fate of the crew nuclear submarine "K-8" Northern Fleet, who died on the teachings of "Ocean" in the Bay of Biscay, the Atlantic Ocean. No wonder midshipman Grachev is named after St. Nicholas, keeper of sailors, he probably kept our crew on this trip. After 74 hours of tracking an American nuclear submarine, ascent to a communication session and transmitting a tracking report, we received a radiogram to stop tracking. When returning from the march, the intelligence agency KTOF confirmed that we were tracking the American strategic nuclear submarine of the Lafayette type, the 15 squadron of the US Navy deployed in Amygne on about. Guam (Mariana Islands). By our actions we pushed her out of the combat patrol area, and she was forced to ascend and return to the base. The moment of ascent and return to the base was recorded by the KTOF reconnaissance ship. That is, the main task assigned by the Commander-in-Chief of the Navy of the USSR was fulfilled by the crew of the nuclear submarine K-122.

Reducing the speed to 6 nodes, plunged to a depth of 60 m, which, according to hydrology conditions, ensures the maximum concealment of navigation from detection by the antisubmarine forces of the enemy and the maximum range of their detection by our radio equipment. We went to a course in the center of the combat service area designated by the USSR Navy General Headquarters, suggesting that it is necessary to prepare for the task of the final stage of the Ocean exercise: search, tracking and attack the main objective of the enemy warship detachment KTOF, the main goal - missile cruiser "Varyag"), following through our combat service area, practical torpedo SAET-60 with its flooding after the passage of the course. A few days of calm sailing in the area of ​​combat service allowed the crew of the submarine to not only physically, but also mentally relax. During these days, we checked the material part of the combat units and services, tried to find out the cause of the malfunctioning of the small aft horizontal rudders, but could not put them into operation. So they were forced to control the submarine by the depth of immersion by large fodder horizontal rudders in the entire speed range of the underwater course before returning from the march. In one of the communication sessions, a radiogram was received about the beginning of the final stage of the Ocean exercise. The submarine commander assessed the situation and decided to search, maneuvering the course perpendicular to the intended general course of the warship detachment - 135 °. At night, a detachment of warships was found at the periscope depth using a passive station for detecting radar signals Nakat-M. Approaching underwater for the detection of surface targets with the help of the Albatross radar station, they surfaced to the periscope depth, measured the bearing, the distance to the nearest target and revealed the marching order of the squadron of warships and its main target. According to the hydroacoustics data, they secretly approached the main target, using the near anti-submarine escort ships on the bow heading angles of the main target for the 60 cable course, they made a torpedo attack of the Varyag missile cruiser with the torpedo SAET-60 from torpedo unit No.-6. The shooting was successful, the torpedo passed under the Varyag missile cruiser, the torpedo's course was observed fired by the rackets from the torpedo.

After the commander’s report on the performance of combat service tasks, the commission of the Pacific Fleet Headquarters dealt with us. When we arrived at the base, we learned that the K-8 nuclear submarine of the Northern Fleet in the Bay of Biscay in the Bay of Biscay was killed as a result of a fire in the electrical compartment and depressurization of a strong hull during the Ocean exercise. The moral and psychological stress for our crew was very high, not everyone withstood the psychological stress, for example, Assistant Commander of the Premier League Captain 3 of rank R. Laletin still washed down and was removed from the watch at low base moral and combat qualities were removed from the post and appointed to the coastal post with a decrease. The position of assistant to the commander of the submarine "K-122" was offered to me, I, after the postponed impressions of the march, refused the offer of command, and then agreed to leave after the holidays. 12 September 1970 was ordered by the order of the commander of the Pacific Fleet as assistant commander of the cruising submarine "K-122" and this was the beginning of my service on the commander's path on the nuclear submarine fleet.

After returning from a hike, as I wrote above, with the crew of the K-70 submarine KL-122, the Pacific Fleet headquarters commission, during a month, was studying the causes of the accidents and incidents during the exercise, as we had them a whole "bouquet":

- touching the "underwater top" at a depth of 195 meters;
- failure of small horizontal rudders;
- double spell of large horizontal rudders for “immersion” at high speed of the underwater course;
- ignition of mechanisms in diesel and turbine compartments;
- loss of tightness of the “DUK” garbage disposal device and, as a result, the disruption of torpedo tubes No. 5 and No. 7, through which they are forced to throw household waste overboard.

During the commission’s work, 15 of May 1970, the submarine was put into the float of the Navy Dockyard in the Chazhma Bay. The following works were carried out:

- inspection and repair of the hydroacoustic station fairing (GUS) after touching the “underwater summit”;
- Inspection and repair of the DUK waste disposal device;
- Inspection and repair of niches, pipes and front covers of torpedo tubes №№ 5 and 7.

When inspecting the sonar fairing it turned out that it was destroyed in the lower part, in the area of ​​the “Plutonium” sonar emitter. From the niche of the hydroacoustic station, about 1,5 tons of corals and silt were removed. Within two weeks, the damaged radome of the hydroacoustic station was repaired. When examining the DUK waste disposal device, it turned out that due to mechanical damage to the sealing rubber of the front cover of the device, water entered the pipe. To eliminate the damage and check for tightness of the device, it took time during one work shift.

Inspection of niches of torpedo tubes showed that they were clogged with debris, dirt, mechanical damage was not found. After removing debris, dirt and painting pipes, niches, front covers of torpedo tubes №№-5,7, they were ready for their combat mission. After performing these works, the submarine returned to base, in Pavlovsky Bay. The remaining comments were eliminated by the employees of the Vostok Shipyard before deploying the submarine in a float in Chazhma bay.

The findings of the commission of the Pacific Fleet headquarters were very strict: for accident rates on a nuclear submarine during the exercises of the Navy ships of the USSR "Ocean" captain 1 rank VF Kopiev to present to the Commander-in-Chief of the Navy to be removed from the position of the submarine "K-122" and appointed order of the commander of the Pacific Fleet.
Dear reader, to leave comments on the publication, you must to register.

I have an account? Sign in

  1. Su-9
    Su-9 6 December 2013 09: 33 New
    Whenever I read about our submariners on nuclear powered ships, I understand that all my alterations during my service in the Air Force were a kindergarten. It’s impossible not to admire these people.
    1. The comment was deleted.
    2. Col.
      Col. 6 December 2013 12: 20 New
      Quote: Su-9
      It’s impossible not to admire these people.

      I totally agree. I, as an aviation veteran and patriot, still consider submariners to be REAL men, an elite from the elites of military professionals!
  2. avt
    avt 6 December 2013 10: 14 New
    Interesting . I ran through the article, interested, it would be necessary to read more closely.
  3. govoruha-otrok
    govoruha-otrok 6 December 2013 11: 35 New
    I have the honor and pleasure to be personally acquainted with Viktor Vasilyevich, a unique commander from the nachkhim. Health to him!
  4. Penek
    Penek 6 December 2013 14: 12 New
    Offered in subplav.Vavno. Now I salute those who agreed.
    1. govoruha-otrok
      govoruha-otrok 6 December 2013 14: 17 New
      getting into the subfloor was difficult. leave is impossible
  5. rudolff
    rudolff 6 December 2013 17: 45 New
    Ten years after this story, in the 80th on K-122 as a result of a fire 14 people will die.
  6. archi.sailor
    archi.sailor 6 December 2013 18: 06 New
    I confirm the temperature in the turbine compartments when stopping the chillers, but I never saw 90 ° C, maximum 77 ° C. With respect to the turbinists, it was like that (it’s now the former)
    1. Old_kapitan
      Old_kapitan 7 December 2013 23: 24 New
      I confirm the temperature in the turbine compartments when stopping the chillers, but I never saw 90 ° C, maximum 77 ° C. With respect to the turbinists, it was like that (it’s now the former)
      Hi colleague! 90 did not see either, but it exceeded 80.
  7. Oberst_71
    Oberst_71 6 December 2013 19: 03 New
    Interesting article. there are more of them!
  8. xomaNN
    xomaNN 6 December 2013 19: 48 New
    period of finishing work in early 1969, this unfortunate RK electric welder digested, as it was convenient for us, for 250 g of alcohol. So this "difficult" problem with the Republic of Kazakhstan was solved at the level of the working plant.

    Very vital. I myself have repeatedly encountered similar situations while working on ships. "SHILO" is a great absolute accelerator and help in any troubles in the fleet wink
    1. govoruha-otrok
      govoruha-otrok 6 December 2013 19: 50 New
      how many people have drunk, just awful.
  9. navy33
    navy33 6 December 2013 20: 07 New
    All greetings! An interesting article. I myself served urgently on the head RTM B-524, to / about the helmsman-signallers. Once we had a similar situation with the BKGR spell, then we fell from 150m to 270m, we grabbed adrenaline !!! On my "Corunda" the emergency gang squeaks, the steering wheels do not react, in short, the amba to all of us, but the guys, the bilge guys, well done, shied away with a crowbar on the BKGR drives, and they earned. In general, they coped, but then everything was forgotten, the trip continued without incident.
  10. AlexA
    AlexA 6 December 2013 20: 20 New
    I read all articles about submariners. Without beautiful words - real men. Respect from the Strategic Missile Forces.
  11. dv-v
    dv-v 8 December 2013 10: 33 New
    during the development of a missile attack, we consistently dropped the az of both sides - but there was a genius cap, respectively - the team calmly on the batteries aligned behind the cell.

    well, and I have a record - they conducted tests after the average at max. working depth - 325m. this cap's voice rang out from the tension in his "listening in the compartments", although, to be honest, nothing went wrong and did not happen.

    project 667bdr.
    1. govoruha-otrok
      govoruha-otrok 8 December 2013 10: 35 New
      thread stretched between bulkheads?)
  12. Former
    Former 9 December 2013 12: 24 New
    article and praise melt.