Military Review

Yemen and American drones: “for” and “against”

24
Yemen and American drones: “for” and “against”The topic of the use of UAVs in Yemen was raised by the world media back in August 2013, but in the light of the November report of human rights activists, it acquired a special urgency. On the one hand, the country's government is asking Washington for drones to fight the al-Qaeda network, on the other, it turned out that the attacks from the UAV killed 200 to 700 citizens (exact data cannot be obtained) and that against drone attacks, o which America does not warn Yemen, acts in its entirety the government, excluding the president.


In late July - early August, American "drones" who were hunting al-Qaeda members struck a number of objects in Yemen. The attacks were associated with the growing terrorist threat in the regions of the Middle East and Africa and the existence of some unmasked conspiracy directed against the West by Al-Qaida leader A. al-Zawahiri. Due to the terrorist threat, a number of US embassies were closed for quite a long time, and the staff of the diplomatic missions were evacuated.

There is no information about whether the missiles with the UAV destroyed the target, there is no information in the press. Probably the Americans missed. The Pentagon usually cheerfully reports about its “hits”.

Two weeks later, the press got information that Yemen’s President Abd al-Rahman Mansur al-Hadi asked the United States to provide drones for help in the fight against al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula ”(AQAP). According to the president, forty Islamist militants were successfully destroyed by blows from a UAV in the country.

The Pentagon responded with a promise to provide Yemen with reconnaissance drones worth 75 million dollars and 48 mobile stations to monitor the vehicles.

Meanwhile, Washington continued its own attacks of Islamist nests in Yemen.

In November, there were reports of the destruction of first three extremists in the east of the country, and then 12 of al-Qaida militants in the province of Abyan in the south. As before, the Americans did not warn the government of Yemen about the attacks.

Famous Yemeni human rights activist Baraa Shiban spoke against the use of UAVs in the country by the Americans. He arrived in Washington and at a special briefing told about the death of more than seven hundred people as a result of missile strikes by American UAVs.

Comrade Shiban clarified that his data are approximate. After all, the Pentagon does not provide any detailed reports. According to the Yemeni government, it was not 700 that perished, but only 200 people. As for the US administration, it considers the information of Baraa Shiban “inaccurate”.

Human rights activists regularly complain to the authorities of Yemen, but the latter get off with blank replies and do nothing. According to Shiban, the United States must warn about strikes.

After Shiban’s speech, Yemen’s human rights defenders and ordinary citizens, whose relatives and friends died from attacks, including those who openly spoke out against Al-Qaida and Islamist extremism, continued the protests in the United States. 16 November they gathered at the White House, bringing with them models of UAVs and gravestones. Barack Obama could not remain silent and promised to make the attacks of "drones" more transparent.

A correspondent "RT" Lucy Kafanov visited the Yeuli village of Haulan, where American drones brought grief.

She told that the father of three children, a teacher of the local school, Ali Nasser, was killed during the impact of the American UAV. Along with him, a cousin, 20-year-old student Salim, was killed: he picked up Ali on a borrowed Toyota. History is this: Ali and Salim picked up two strangers who turned out to be al-Qaeda’s alleged militants. According to eyewitnesses, there was a buzz in the sky, and rockets were hit on the car. Relatives identified Salim by a piece of trousers; his body just shattered into pieces. Salim Um Salim Al-Kawli's mother says:

“I could not believe the day that my son was killed by the impact of an American drone. Why? Tell me! May Allah deprive them of their souls, how they have deprived the life of our son. He was the only breadwinner in the family. Now we can only mourn him. "


The Yemeni Interior Ministry confirmed: the cousins ​​had no relation to the terrorists.

However, the White House did not admit that these people were killed by the drone, although relatives are sure that the cause of death of their loved ones was the Hellfire missile launched by the UAV.

How effective are UAVs in Yemen? Political analyst Abdul-Ghani Al-Iriani explains:

“The drone strikes do not reduce the number of al-Qaeda.” On the contrary, it is likely that they helped strengthen the organization. In the future, when a unit develops into a fairly large and powerful group, it will be able to inflict serious damage. ”


The correspondent of "RT" cites the opinion of the president of the organization "Veterans For Peace" Leah Bolger:

“I believe that launching rockets that kill peaceful families from nowhere, from the sky is a kind of terrorism. I do not know how to identify a terrorist when there is no evidence against him. That is what the Geneva Convention is about. ”


Leah continues:

“These raids are a violation of many of its provisions, a violation of the sovereignty of foreign states, on which we strike. Drones attacks are not only ineffective, they are also dangerous because with every innocent victim we undoubtedly make new enemies. ”


It is unlikely that human rights activists will achieve anything in the United States, especially if we recall that the President of Yemen against the attacks of the “drones” do not particularly object and even asks to provide the country with these same “drones”. To the American errors committed at a distance, the Yemeni errors will be added. And every mistake - someone's death, which for the military is nothing more than statistics (and very dark).

The US military-industrial complex will continue to promote the UAV.

The other day on "InoSMI" Ilya Plekhanov’s report “Filling the Heavens” was published, where the author spoke about the first international summit “UAVs in the world” at Georgetown University, USA. The summit was organized by the University Lawyers Guild, the Institute for Political Studies, the women's advocacy and anti-war organization Code Pink, and The Nation magazine. The meeting was also attended by delegations from Yemen and Pakistan.

The attacks with the UAV, as it turned out, are inflicted in the world only three states: the United States, Britain, Israel.

Meanwhile, according to Peter Singer, director of the 21st Century Security and Intelligence Center from the Brookings Institution, countries already have 87 UAVs. The expert claims that 26 of them either bought or are close to creating “drones” like the MQ-1 “Predator” capable of delivering missile strikes.

In addition to Predator, Israeli IAI Heron is popular in the world market. According to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, from 2001 to 2011. 41% of all UAVs in international trade were supplied by Israel. Israel sells UAVs to 24 countries, including the United States. "Frost & Sullivan" published a report on Israeli UAVs, from which it became clear that from 2005 to 2012. Israel sold $ 49 billion to 4,6 foreign buyers of drones, while the United States sold only $ 2 billion to $ 3 billion.

The United States is not going to turn off dronoprograms. On the contrary, experts believe that the volume of the UAV market will go up.

Teal Group Corp. recently released its tenth global UAV market report. By 2023, the market volume may increase from the current 5,2 billion to 11,6 billion, while R & D investment will rise from 1,9 to 4 billion, and the US will occupy the 65% of the R & D market and 51% of sales.

In 2010, UAVs accounted for 41% of the total number of aircraft of the US Air Force. In the 2011 year, training in the Air Force passed the 300 drones and only 250 F-16 pilots. According to the Brookings Institution report, in the Air Force today there are a little more than 1300 UAV operators (8,5% of the total number of pilots), but they will already be 1750 by 2017 year.

I. Plekhanov quotes the words of John Henry Hoeven, senator from North Dakota, who were spoken by the December 2012 of the year at the Senate meeting on the growing role of the UAV in the world:

“Our military uses UAVs all over the world. We are leading the way in this technology. ... We must continue to be the world leader in aviation technology is important to national security and it is important to job creation. ... We are obliged to develop technology and systems in order to use UAVs in the airspace of our country simultaneously with commercial aviation and general aviation. This is vital to maintain our leadership. ”


Against the background of recent statements by Obama and John Kerry about American "exclusivity", we add, the words of Huven become ominous.

It must be remembered that not only in connection with the economic crisis, but also in connection with the inevitable increase in the technological component in the defense strategy of the XNUMXst century, the United States will increase funds that kill at a distance, which, in turn, will be actively promoted by insatiable owners Military-industrial complex successfully lobbying capitalist interests in Congress. One John McCain, the main proponent of aggression against Syria, whose campaigns are sponsored by American weapons Barons, what is it! ..

Therefore, as before, Washington will otbryvatsya from human rights defenders, making promises, making statements and assuring the international community that the information on civilian casualties in Pakistan or Yemen is inaccurate.

Observed and commented on Oleg Chuvakin
- especially for topwar.ru
24 comments
Information
Dear reader, to leave comments on the publication, you must to register.

I have an account? Sign in

  1. makarov
    makarov 30 November 2013 08: 06
    +2
    If we consider the situation objectively, we should still “read between the lines”, namely, take into account the fact that all flights of American UAVs over Yemen are made with the consent of the Yemeni authorities. Why the author of the material does not brand her remains a mystery.
  2. makarov
    makarov 30 November 2013 08: 06
    0
    If we consider the situation objectively, we should still “read between the lines”, namely, take into account the fact that all flights of American UAVs over Yemen are made with the consent of the Yemeni authorities. Why the author of the material does not brand her remains a mystery.
  3. Ihrek
    Ihrek 30 November 2013 08: 38
    0
    That’s where the wide field of activity for all kinds of human rights activists.
    1. Apollo
      Apollo 30 November 2013 08: 46
      0
      American drones violate human rights and are a war crime. It is also relevant to this article, in this case Yemen.
    2. Migari
      Migari 30 November 2013 17: 07
      +2
      Quote: Jamal
      That’s where the wide field of activity for all kinds of human rights activists.
      And the amers don't give a shit, because the main human rights activists are they, and their mongrels.
    3. AVV
      AVV 1 December 2013 13: 49
      +2
      The most interesting thing is that the states are accustomed to sow death, where they cannot adequately answer, where there is no air defense, where there is no electronic warfare !!! This is a war out of the blue !!! In Iran, for example, the situation is the opposite, American drones are planted and destroyed there !!! And Americans suffer real losses in money and prestige !!!
      1. cumastra1
        cumastra1 1 December 2013 15: 10
        -3
        The question is - aren't attacks on al-Qaida and other terrorist organizations in line with Russian interests? Why stigmatize the United States if they do the work of our FSB?
      2. cumastra1
        cumastra1 1 December 2013 15: 10
        -2
        The question is - aren't attacks on al-Qaida and other terrorist organizations in line with Russian interests? Why stigmatize the United States if they do the work of our FSB?
  4. Ddhal
    Ddhal 30 November 2013 08: 54
    0
    I wanted to, but I will not go deep into the moral aspects of the use of UAVs ..
    The most important minus, in my opinion, is that the operator is in a virtual field and does not see death in the eyes of the people he kills ..
    The main plus is that bandits can be reached on their territory without endangering the lives of soldiers who also have mothers.
    1. Altona
      Altona 30 November 2013 15: 25
      +5
      You do not go into not only moral, but also legal aspects ... A person can be executed only by a court verdict and for crimes proven by justice in an adversarial process ... Murder by a drone, surreptitiously and without presenting a court verdict is twice a crime, it is arbitrariness and lynching ... In comparison, the notorious Stalinist "troikas" and other "horrors of totalitarianism" are sweet and innocent legal pranks ... No one has the right to deprive another person of life on the basis of their own guesses ... Even bandits and criminals before what either by an action against another person, it does not matter whether they are one of their own or a patient, and then they "throw it in the eye" ... And here ... An ordinary murder, in fact, genocide, whatever the actions of the drone killers might be explained ...
      1. Shur
        Shur 30 November 2013 20: 23
        -1
        Once they have risen "above" the law, it frees the hands of retaliation. The unleashing of the principle of "eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" has already led to the fact that "international norms" have simply disappeared, just no one supposedly notices.
      2. aksakal
        aksakal 30 November 2013 23: 50
        -1
        Quote: Altona
        You do not go into not only moral, but also legal aspects ... A person can be executed only by a court verdict and for crimes proven by justice in an adversarial process ... Murder by a drone, surreptitiously and without presenting a court verdict is twice a crime, it is arbitrariness and lynching ... In comparison, the notorious Stalinist "troikas" and other "horrors of totalitarianism" are sweet and innocent legal pranks ... No one has the right to deprive another person of life on the basis of their own guesses ... Even bandits and criminals before what either by an action against another person, it does not matter whether they are one of their own or a patient, and then they "throw it in the eye" ... And here ... An ordinary murder, in fact, genocide, whatever the actions of the drone killers might be explained ...
        - I don’t know why they didn’t give you any advantages? You managed to get by even without traditional anti-Americanism, simply by evaluating the actions of the UAV owners from a moral and legal point of view, this was already enough to start a worldwide mission. a campaign to ban the use of UAVs in such operations. You respect
      3. Revolver
        Revolver 1 December 2013 02: 54
        +1
        Quote: Altona
        Murder by a drone, stealthily and without being sentenced, is a double crime

        But what if the pilot was sitting in the cockpit, and not in the office at the remote control, would there be a difference for you?
        Quote: Altona
        A person can be executed only by a court verdict and for a crime proven by justice in an adversarial process ...

        The same Dudaev, Basaev, Khattab, too, was killed without trial, and correctly done. Or do you think that it was necessary to leave them alone until there was an opportunity to arrest and judge?
        Quote: Altona
        In comparison, the notorious Stalinist "troikas"

        In Stalin, many liberals threw shit, you are not the first. Yes, but everything does not stick, but bounces back into shit throwers.
  5. andrei332809
    andrei332809 30 November 2013 09: 13
    0
    I have a suspicion that Amer’s operators perceive this as a computer shooter. and what real life is behind their games, they don’t even think
    1. tomket
      tomket 1 December 2013 15: 06
      0
      Well, how, for example, do you think the bombardiers of the British "Lancaster" when they wiped Dresden off the face of the earth? do you think they were crying, or at least mentally represented how children die in a firestorm?
  6. Neighbor
    Neighbor 30 November 2013 10: 37
    0
    It looks like drones are operated by "drone" operators.
  7. de bouillon
    de bouillon 30 November 2013 10: 50
    +2
    Mahmoud peacefully drove home after hard working days ...

    1. SSR
      SSR 30 November 2013 22: 12
      +1
      Worked out clearly but just as clearly you substitute concepts. You are related to the Jews judging by your answer. You have the flag of the Russian Federation, but the comment is not the same. I apologize .
  8. de bouillon
    de bouillon 30 November 2013 10: 50
    0
    Mahmoud peacefully drove home after hard working days ...

  9. 0255
    0255 30 November 2013 12: 04
    0
    Quote: andrei332809
    I have a suspicion that Amer’s operators perceive this as a computer shooter. and what real life is behind their games, they don’t even think

    Quote: Neighbor
    It looks like drones are operated by "drone" operators.

    Yes, the Americans do not care who their UAVs destroy - terrorists or civilians. They not only have drones, they also have the same drones in the White House. And they don't give a damn about human rights defenders - whether they are from the USA or not.
    Sorry for the inhabitants of the backward countries of the third world ...
  10. porevith
    porevith 30 November 2013 15: 25
    -3
    and I support the Americans, why risk the lives of their soldiers, if you can kill them with an UAV. ???? for example, is it better to eliminate militants in Chechnya with the help of UAVs or risk the lives of Russian soldiers ???? And for them, OUR life is dear, And for you ????
    1. Shur
      Shur 30 November 2013 20: 31
      +2
      Not surprisingly, soon you will be praying quite officially on the rug in the direction of the White House. By the way, the day is not far off when, after all the associations, "soulless" can also start flying over your head. Ukraine is Europe .. yeah yeah ..
    2. 0255
      0255 1 December 2013 01: 01
      0
      Quote: porevith
      and I support the Americans, why risk the lives of their soldiers, if you can kill them with an UAV. ???? for example, is it better to eliminate militants in Chechnya with the help of UAVs or risk the lives of Russian soldiers ???? And for them, OUR life is dear, And for you ????

      why kill civilians with UAVs? The article is not about how good drones are, but about how the United States does what they want with their help.
  11. porevith
    porevith 30 November 2013 15: 25
    0
    and I support the Americans, why risk the lives of their soldiers, if you can kill them with an UAV. ???? for example, is it better to eliminate militants in Chechnya with the help of UAVs or risk the lives of Russian soldiers ???? And for them, OUR life is dear, And for you ????
  12. porevith
    porevith 30 November 2013 21: 52
    -2
    Quote: Shur
    Not surprisingly, soon you will be praying quite officially on the rug in the direction of the White House. By the way, the day is not far off when, after all the associations, "soulless" can also start flying over your head. Ukraine is Europe .. yeah yeah ..

    I just appreciate that they value the lives of their soldiers, and it’s easier and cheaper for you to risk the lives of their soldiers (and what is a dozen more, a dozen less, and if it will be your relative ??? or a friend ??) than send a drone. and what does it have to do with association with Europe, a conversation about human values.
  13. porevith
    porevith 30 November 2013 21: 52
    +1
    Quote: Shur
    Not surprisingly, soon you will be praying quite officially on the rug in the direction of the White House. By the way, the day is not far off when, after all the associations, "soulless" can also start flying over your head. Ukraine is Europe .. yeah yeah ..

    I just appreciate that they value the lives of their soldiers, and it’s easier and cheaper for you to risk the lives of their soldiers (and what is a dozen more, a dozen less, and if it will be your relative ??? or a friend ??) than send a drone. and what does it have to do with association with Europe, a conversation about human values.
    1. Old_kapitan
      Old_kapitan 2 December 2013 05: 58
      +1
      I just appreciate that they value the lives of their soldiers,
      You simply do not have enough intelligence to understand that they do not care about their soldiers, otherwise they would not have driven them to Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere. This is a business, just a business in which huge grandmas are hiding and there are no sons and grandchildren of these "businessmen from the military-industrial complex."
  14. alone
    alone 30 November 2013 22: 02
    +2
    if you can destroy the enemy without risking the lives of your soldiers, then the use of BLPA is very effective.
    but in most cases women and children become victims. and this is a war crime.
  15. porevith
    porevith 30 November 2013 22: 43
    -2
    [quote = lonely] if you can destroy the enemy without risking the lives of your soldiers, then the use of BLPA is very effective.
    but in most cases the victims are women and children. and this is a war crime. [/ quot
    Do you know exactly how many times they used UAVs and how many accurately hit ???? Do you have such information ???? and if one or two overshot, then it immediately becomes known. and that a woman can’t shoot ????? or can’t come with a shahid’s belt and blow up for example a bus with people ????? and that in Afghanistan the children did not shoot at our ??? they are terrorists, they don’t wear uniforms and can be anyone. and if they can blow up women and children, then why not answer the same ?????
    1. SkiF_RnD
      SkiF_RnD 1 December 2013 23: 41
      +1
      Well then let's throw off a vigorous bomb on Yemen, which is already there. Women can shoot. And buses can also explode. Actually, it’s a pity that you do not live in Yemen, you have the very place there for a taxi driver to work and bring bearded men to the house. I would then have a look at what you think about the American drone UAVs with the AGM-114 under your belly above your head, and the operator who is sitting at the console, chewing a sandwich, and pointing a rocket at your car.
  16. porevith
    porevith 30 November 2013 22: 43
    -1
    [quote = lonely] if you can destroy the enemy without risking the lives of your soldiers, then the use of BLPA is very effective.
    but in most cases the victims are women and children. and this is a war crime. [/ quot
    Do you know exactly how many times they used UAVs and how many accurately hit ???? Do you have such information ???? and if one or two overshot, then it immediately becomes known. and that a woman can’t shoot ????? or can’t come with a shahid’s belt and blow up for example a bus with people ????? and that in Afghanistan the children did not shoot at our ??? they are terrorists, they don’t wear uniforms and can be anyone. and if they can blow up women and children, then why not answer the same ?????
  17. porevith
    porevith 1 December 2013 02: 18
    -1
    Quote: 0255
    Quote: porevith
    and I support the Americans, why risk the lives of their soldiers, if you can kill them with an UAV. ???? for example, is it better to eliminate militants in Chechnya with the help of UAVs or risk the lives of Russian soldiers ???? And for them, OUR life is dear, And for you ????

    why kill civilians with UAVs? The article is not about how good drones are, but about how the United States does what they want with their help.

    so maybe it's just a banal envy ???? they can protect their interests, but you do not ??? Why can this America, but we can’t ??? yes ???? And who's stopping you ??? would take for example, and with the help of drones, and would shoot fighters in Syria. America is fighting terrorism, and obviously with the permission of the same Yemen or Pakistan, and in any war there are casualties among the civilian population.
  18. porevith
    porevith 1 December 2013 02: 18
    -1
    Quote: 0255
    Quote: porevith
    and I support the Americans, why risk the lives of their soldiers, if you can kill them with an UAV. ???? for example, is it better to eliminate militants in Chechnya with the help of UAVs or risk the lives of Russian soldiers ???? And for them, OUR life is dear, And for you ????

    why kill civilians with UAVs? The article is not about how good drones are, but about how the United States does what they want with their help.

    so maybe it's just a banal envy ???? they can protect their interests, but you do not ??? Why can this America, but we can’t ??? yes ???? And who's stopping you ??? would take for example, and with the help of drones, and would shoot fighters in Syria. America is fighting terrorism, and obviously with the permission of the same Yemen or Pakistan, and in any war there are casualties among the civilian population.
  19. Ols76
    Ols76 1 December 2013 06: 01
    -4
    All flights of American UAVs over Yemen are made with the consent of the Yemeni authorities. Dozens or maybe hundreds of exterminated al-Qaeda militants, so the results are obvious. Why so many negative comments remains a mystery to me.
  20. 0255
    0255 1 December 2013 11: 58
    +1
    Yes, damn it, the United States kills exclusively terrorists ...
    http://kuraev.ru/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=8cfd5e8105c7f9ced4a34bc0b554d736&topic=
    615447.0
    http://www.topnews.ru/news_id_41666.html
    http://fakty.ua/130506-voennye-ssha-poziruyut-s-mertvymi-afgancami-foto-video
    do you think this is normal?
  21. porevith
    porevith 1 December 2013 12: 45
    0
    Quote: 0255
    Yes, damn it, the United States kills exclusively terrorists ...
    http://kuraev.ru/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=8cfd5e8105c7f9ced4a34bc0b554d736&topic=

    615447.0
    http://www.topnews.ru/news_id_41666.html
    http://fakty.ua/130506-voennye-ssha-poziruyut-s-mertvymi-afgancami-foto-video
    do you think this is normal?

    Of course, this is not normal, and it is necessary to stop this and punish, but the topic is about drones errors. ours in Afghanistan also killed civilians, by mistake and what ???? will we now scold all Afghans ??? http://www.diletant.ru/blogs/13778/2152/
    http://afgan-war-soldiers.narod.ru/crime-004.html
    http://afgan-war-soldiers.narod.ru/crime-006.html
  22. porevith
    porevith 1 December 2013 12: 45
    -3
    Quote: 0255
    Yes, damn it, the United States kills exclusively terrorists ...
    http://kuraev.ru/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=8cfd5e8105c7f9ced4a34bc0b554d736&topic=

    615447.0
    http://www.topnews.ru/news_id_41666.html
    http://fakty.ua/130506-voennye-ssha-poziruyut-s-mertvymi-afgancami-foto-video
    do you think this is normal?

    Of course, this is not normal, and it is necessary to stop this and punish, but the topic is about drones errors. ours in Afghanistan also killed civilians, by mistake and what ???? will we now scold all Afghans ??? http://www.diletant.ru/blogs/13778/2152/
    http://afgan-war-soldiers.narod.ru/crime-004.html
    http://afgan-war-soldiers.narod.ru/crime-006.html
  23. Maxxx
    Maxxx 9 December 2013 02: 01
    +1
    Russia desperately needs strike drones. Then there would have been less losses. (War in Chechnya, Georgia ...) 1000 drones are not worth even 1 pilot.