Military Review

Persons of Stalingrad

Memories of Soviet and German veterans of the battle that changed the course of the Second World War

Maria Faustova and Alexander Voronov, Maria Faustova signed up as a volunteer for the Red Army in 1941. She served as a radio operator in the 131 th infantry division, retreating from Kharkov to Stalingrad. In this unit, met with the commander of the anti-tank battery Alexander Voronov. In August, 1942, Captain Voronov, was seriously wounded near the town of Kalach. In the autumn of the same year, after heavy losses, the 131-I Rifle Division was withdrawn from the battlefield for re-formation. Maria and Alexander got married in 1945. Live in Moscow.

2 February 1943 of the year, 70 years ago, ended the battle of Stalingrad, which became a turning point in World War II. Memories and photographs of Soviet and German veterans who were at that time in the city on the Volga, from the project “Faces of Stalingrad”.

In preparing the material, memories and photographs of Soviet and German veterans from the project “Faces of Stalingrad” (Faces of Stalingrad), implemented in 2009-2010, were used.

Persons of Stalingrad

Anatoly Merezhko

Born in 1921 in Novocherkassk. Immediately after graduating from the officers' school, in May 1942, he was sent to the front in the Crimea. During the Battle of Stalingrad, a lieutenant in the headquarters of the 62 Army. He took part in the battle for Berlin in the rank of captain. Retired Colonel-General. Lives in Moscow.

- The peak of the wild hatred of the invaders was during the retreat through the Don, and especially on August 23. Our battalion was practically killed there. Not a battalion, but a full school. Just dawn, the body breaks through tank 14th to the northern part of Stalingrad. And our neighboring cadet battalion falls under this blow. German tanks go into the trenches where the cadets defended, on one caterpillar they turn and cadets are alive asleep in these trenches. We can’t help with anything. About 14 hours after the armada of aircraft goes, and the bombing of Stalingrad begins. And, being 40 kilometers from Stalingrad, when it got dark, we saw a continuous glow, a fire of such force that flames were visible.

February 2, when they saw that German prisoners' columns were sent across the Volga to the boundless Kazakhstani steppes, where settlements from each other in 15 – 20 kilometers at least, or even more, and the settlements are small - villages and stanitsas. We knew that it was impossible to warm up anywhere, and the frost was 7 – 8 degrees, small, but when the Kazakhstan steppes the wind blows, it penetrates you through ... Thousands of prisoners. This column goes ... To this boundless Kazakh steppe ... You think: well, here you are and the end, guys ... And at the same time, all the same triumph of victory was ... Here I stood on the Volga's slope and then decided that now I would stay alive until the end of the war !

Gerhard Hindenlang

Born in 1916 in Berlin. He fought with the rank of senior lieutenant in the 71 Infantry Division, which in September 1942 was the first to reach the Volga in the center of Stalingrad. In January, 1943 was adjutant to the commander of the division, Fritz Roske. 31 January of the same year was captured. Until 1952 - a prisoner of war in the USSR, on returning to commercial activities in Hanover, later serving in the Bundeswehr as a battalion commander. 21 died March 2010 of the year.

- On January 30 I was informed that the colonel of artillery, who was involved with his headquarters as a combat unit on my front, had gone over to the Russians. Because of this, the Russians approached and surrounded the department store that defended my unit (the headquarters of the 6 Army and the headquarters of its commander, Friedrich Paulus — MN) were stationed in the department store, tanks, anti-tank guns, and so on. Then I said to Colonel Roske: “Sir, Colonel, tomorrow morning we will have to capitulate.” It was January 30. And here comes a radiogram from the main rate of the Fuhrer, from the Wolf lair. Colonel-General Paulus was given the rank of Field Marshal ... I went to Paulus, saluted, and reported that a radiogram had arrived that he was given the title of Field Marshal, and he answers me: "Now I am the youngest army general and must surrender in captivity. " I was even taken aback, because I proceeded from the fact - like Hitler, of course, too - that he would commit suicide. He remarked to my reaction, asks: “How do you feel about suicide?” I replied: “I can’t treat him in any way. I will command my unit to the end. And if I'm still alive, then I will go along with my boys to captivity. Leaving them to the mercy of fate is not for me. ” To which Paulus said: "I am a believer, a Christian, I condemn suicide." Although 14 days ago, he said that the officer has no right to be captured. That is better shot. And now he turned it like this.

Heinz hun

Born in 1920 in the city of Rochlitz in Saxony. The waiter by profession, in 1940, was called up in the Wehrmacht. He served as an artilleryman in the 94 Infantry Division, transferred to the Eastern Front in June 1941. In Stalingrad he took part in the battles in Spartakovka and in the storming of the Barricades artillery plant. 8 November 1942 of the year (12 days before the entourage of the German 6) was sent on leave. He returned early at the end of November and was sent to the tank group of Colonel-General Goth, who was trying to break through the encirclement to no avail. In March, 1943 was transferred to Italy, from 1945 to 1946, the year was in American captivity. Now living in Wiesbaden with his wife.

- Russia shocked us. I remember, comrades in France told me: “Well, now we’ll go to Russia, we’ll try our bear meat ham there, and there’s nothing in them!” Ha! They thought we would continue as well as in France. And how it all turned out - it was a real shock for everyone. During the offensive, we passed through one place, the name I do not remember. I ran around the gun and suddenly I looked - there is such a handsome handsome man, he looks at me and says: “Boy, come here.” I thought, “What does he want from me?” He shows me a large geographical map of the world — I think that this was a school teacher. The “USSR” was also written there, all of Russia was painted on it. And he says: “Big, Russian, big!” And also: “The German is small, small!” In general, he said something like: “You cannot win our Russia”.

Gregory Zverev

Born in 1923 in Petrograd (St. Petersburg). As part of the reserve, where he served as a junior lieutenant, he was transferred from the Far East to the Don region in July 1942. During the Battle of Stalingrad, a cipher clerk at the headquarters of the regiment of the 15 Guards Rifle Division, 64 Army. After the war, he entered the Air Force Academy. Lives in Moscow.

- When they brought us by train to Stalingrad, they brought us across the Volga, we reached Don. The city is called Kalach, where we settled down for the night. In the morning a messenger woke us up, said that the field kitchens were in the garden, we walked about a hundred meters, had breakfast, and when we went from there - bombing! ..

When we approached the house where we were located, we saw that a bomb had fallen into the courtyard. On a tree, I remember, a gas mask hung, lumps, then a captain's tunic. And just in our house was located the commander of an artillery regiment - the captain. He was in the courtyard, and the bomb smashed him to shreds.

For dinner, we command: get together the officers, the chief of staff calls. He read to us the order of Comrade Stalin 227.
It was summed up that the German had already taken Kharkov, which is in full swing, on Rostov. I remember the names of those who were taken prisoner were named there. And this reading, the approaching artillery firing, and now departing troops from Kharkiv pass through our unit, who weaponswho is without a weapon ... Well, there was some tension. I will not say - panic, did not shake me, nothing, but in any case, maybe I was a little grayer then.

Franz Schike

Born in 1922 in the city of Hecklingen (Anhalt). A salesman by profession, called up by the Wehrmacht in 1942, served in the 71 Infantry Division with the rank of corporal. Since September 1942, batman captain Gerhard Münch. After seven years of captivity in the CSSR, he returned to East Germany. Since 1950, a member of the SED, worked at the Ministry of the Interior of the GDR. Released from the Communist Party after the unification of Germany. Lives in Berlin.

- January 15 (1943 of the year) wounded me in the head. Gunshot wound. And medical care in that chaos was almost impossible. The Russians continued the offensive, and we were left to ourselves. Here the disaster began. The 48 watch spanked across the snowy desert ... alone. The next morning I had no strength left ... After I was captured, I was very lucky. There was one Soviet lieutenant who spoke German. I told him what was happening. And he instructed someone to bring a bucket of water, a liter of 2, in my opinion. I drank it at a time, and that's just why I had the strength to endure this march. Of course, we had a difficult time in captivity, this is understandable. But they treated us like people.

Johan Shines

Born in 1920, near the city of Aachen. In the year 1941 called up to the ranks of the Wehrmacht. He served as a truck driver in the 16 Panzer Division, leading the attack on Stalingrad. In December, 1942 took part in the battles of Gumrak, then in the center of Stalingrad, where he was captured on January 29 of 1943. Returned to Germany at the end of the year 1949. Over the next two years, disabled, later worked as a driver in the district administration near Aachen, where he still lives.

- If we returned, for example, with broken tracks, then we reported: “The tank is not operational”. “Well, where is he?” - “It is standing there and there”. That's when their nerves passed. Crimson became angry. Our officers went crazy. They yelled: “The price of soldier’s life is a piece of paper. The price of the tank is a million. ” When we lost a hundred soldiers - nothing, when the tank - it was a disaster. That was the attitude of our German officers. Because of this, I still have anger on them. We in Stalingrad very often went for themselves. You can't even tell. Honestly. What kind of rubbish we just ate there. And it was not necessary to wash, and we could not wash, dirty linen something. And when you have enough clothes in your pants, everything becomes hopelessly dirty, unfit - go and take off your clothes from the dead. And this fear!

Upon his return from captivity, he applied for a job as a driver in the district administration. The head of the personnel department tells me: “Mr. Shines, you should also write us your autobiography. So accepted. ” I answer: “I already wrote it: 8-summer school, Russia. I was a soldier - now I'm here. ”

Lucie Kollak

Born 1918 in Allenstein in East Prussia. Since 1935, and throughout the war, she worked as a nurse. In 1940, she married tanker Gerhard Kollak. A year later, they had a daughter, Doris. Gerhard Kollak at the end of January 1943, was captured by the Soviet Union, died several months later during a stage in Uzbekistan. Lucie Collac fled East Prussia in 1945. Now she lives with her daughter in Munster.

- Lutsienka - so he called me. When he arrived for the first time and saw his daughter, she was already half a year old, I was just in Allenstein at his parents ... My heart was pounding with joy. Send to your parents - there are greetings, tears of joy ... And he only: “Where is the baby? Where is the baby? ”Well, then I went into the bedroom, my daughter was lying there in her crib. Sleeping. He knelt in front of her bed and watched and watched ...

Russia. My husband admired these distances so much. He said: “You can't even imagine how wide it is. Evening dawns half sky - the sun shines so far. But it is only when calm, when they do not shoot. “I still keep his last letters (from Stalingrad). There are no others left. It was impossible to take everything with you (during the flight from East Prussia in January 1945). We had just 10 minutes for fees. Yet went somersault. Half the village has already left. "How are you still here with the children?" What do you think about? Russians are already under Allenstein!

Vera Bulushova

Born in 1921, in the town of Pushkino, Moscow Region. The eldest of five children. In 1941, she volunteered for the Red Army. Two brothers and a sister followed her example, everyone returned alive. During the Battle of Stalingrad, she worked in military intelligence as part of the 62 Army. Finished the war in the rank of captain. Lives in Moscow.

- Military service was then taken for granted, as inevitable, as patriots. Although people fell before our eyes. During the bombing, the fragments hit me, there was a slight injury, but the dimples still remained. The shard slipped over the entire face.

Maria Faustova and Alexander Voronov

Maria Faustova was born in 1922 in Yelets (Lipetsk region). In 1941, she volunteered for the Red Army. She served as a radio operator in the 131 th infantry division, retreating from Kharkov to Stalingrad. In this unit, met with the commander of the anti-tank battery Alexander Voronov (born in 1920 year in Rostov-on-Don). In August, 1942, Captain Voronov, was seriously wounded near the town of Kalach. In the autumn of the same year, after a heavy loss, the 131-I Rifle Division was withdrawn from the battlefield for re-formation. Maria and Alexander got married in 1945. Live in Moscow.

Memories of Maria Georgievna about 1942 year and Stalingrad:

- I have a lot of injuries. At the foot of the fragments are mines - 17 seams ...

I'm glad I'm short. It was more difficult to hit me (during the bombing)! I once - and on earth! I walked in pants. From afar to me shouted: "Hey, boy!" Trimmed under the boy, cap.

Once defeated (field) kitchen. I say: "Let's rake!" Find something! ”Right? I say: “My kettle was punched, but I was not!” They say: “Well done!” They all loved me for my character. I never lost heart. ”

On the farewell to Alexander Voronov at Stalingrad in August 1942:

- He came to the radio station, you can not go to the radio station. And so he came and said: “Well, goodbye, we are unlikely to stay alive ...” He hugged me. And no kisses. There is no time for kissing, because the farewell is ...

Boris Kryzhanovsky

Born in 1930 in Stalingrad. An 12-year-old child survived the bombing of the city in August-September 1942. In October of the same year, he was sent with his family to forced labor in Ukraine. Member of the society "Children of Stalingrad." Lives in Moscow.

- After lunch, 23 August began a massive bombardment of the city. Within two days the city was destroyed. First of all, the Central District where I lived was destroyed. It was one of the terrible days when, literally at night, the earth shook. It was very scary. We went to the shelter, on the second day our home was gone. I stayed in shorts ... Once I ran through the ruins, a German plane was flying. And I saw a good pilot in the face. Here is a young guy sitting in the cab and smiling. I even remember his smile. And he scribbled from a machine gun. I did not guess, I would have to lie down and lie down, but I was running. And he missed. ... Towards evening (the Germans came to the shelter on the steep bank of the Volga, where the Kryzhanovskys were hiding). And they began to rob us. What we dragged along were knots, bags of saved property. And I remember, a German, I was impressed, such an unpleasant aftertaste, he took (things) and said: “Mir” (to me), “to you” - sorted (our) saved (property). Then they came for the second time.

Gerhard Münch

Born in 1914, near the city of Linz on the Rhine. In 1941, he was married to his wife Anna-Elizabeth. During the Battle of Stalingrad, he commanded a battalion in the 71 Infantry Division with the rank of captain. 21 January 1943 was sent to the General Staff courses and flew out of Stalingrad on one of the last aircraft. In the 50-ies resumed service in the Bundeswehr. Retired General, lives with his wife near Bonn.

“On January 21, I received an order:“ You are ordered to appear at the corps headquarters. ” They came to me on a motorcycle and took me to the hull. On the plain we rode, lay thousands of soldiers who could not be buried because of the frost. Thousands! We were left with only a small path for the passage, not all the corpses were completely covered with snow because of the wind, so there was a head looking out, then a hand. This, of course ... left a deep impression. I got to the headquarters of the corps, started reporting, but they say to me: “Don't. You are flying out today. ”
Dear reader, to leave comments on the publication, you must to register.

I have an account? Sign in

  1. Kovrovsky
    Kovrovsky 14 June 2013 08: 36
    One of the greatest battles in the history of wars! Thanks to our grandfathers and great-grandfathers for having survived and won!
    1. chaushevski
      chaushevski 14 June 2013 12: 56
      Respect and respect for ours, but not to the Germans (as well as to all the European ways that they were there. As always, we stand against all of Europe) Who is for the plus
  2. George
    George 14 June 2013 08: 47
    Why are Germans dragged here?

    I wish our veterans who survived and defeated the enemy good health and well-being.
    1. redwar6
      redwar6 14 June 2013 17: 16
      It is not paradoxical, but they are also people, persons.
  3. Denis_SF
    Denis_SF 14 June 2013 10: 05
    We in Stalingrad very often went for ourselves.

    Russians have instilled and nurtured this feeling for Europeans for centuries; more than one century must pass so that it ceases to be transmitted at their genetic level, no matter how it sounds.
  4. millyar
    millyar 14 June 2013 11: 47
    My father was there until December 1942.
    1. chaushevski
      chaushevski 14 June 2013 12: 57
      and how old are you
  5. O_RUS
    O_RUS 14 June 2013 13: 38
    Veterans! Thank you for the victory!
    1. O_RUS
      O_RUS 20 June 2013 07: 43
      Quote: O_RUS
      O_RUS (2) RU June 14, 2013 13:38

      Veterans! Thank you for the victory!

      The comment is minus ... The minusator put up with your head - it will be easier to live
  6. redwar6
    redwar6 14 June 2013 17: 22
    Great-grandfather told his aunt and aunt to his mother terrible things. Great-grandfather was there the whole battle, from start to finish, twice wounded, had 2 orders and a medal for Stalingrad (Red Star, Red Banner, For Courage). He told how the fines-sailors were brought: Autumn. A quarter of the company remained, approximately. We brought vodka, 100 grams per person, but the people didn’t, and there were 250 grams. But they didn’t get into the throat. We didn’t drink. Well, so, a quarter of the personnel remained, we must step on and the soldiers are sitting in the trenches, nothing helps. They brought (I don’t remember how many) fine sailors. Build the sailors fell, and without a weapon (!), peeling a ribbon from his peak, peeling his vest, so that the vest could be seen, they went on a sea voyage to the Germans. One was killed, the other got up in his place. And they went. The soldiers and went on the attack.
    1. aleshka
      aleshka 14 June 2013 19: 27
      terrible things in the war around! my father defended STALINGRAD, I fought in Afghanistan for a year and a half,
      scary! but I didn’t see a thousandth of the meat grinder that was in STALINGRAD !!! The division died on the day !!! You can calculate how many of them fell! but how I defended the city I still can’t understand !!!
      1. redwar6
        redwar6 14 June 2013 22: 35
        A million only on our part.
  7. ivanovbg
    ivanovbg 14 June 2013 21: 19
    Well, now we’ll go to Russia, where they’ll try ham from bear’s meat ...

    And the bears in the balalaika will play for the fun of the brave soldiers of the Fuhrer ...

    Something they thought, going to Russia ??? Certainly not with my head! They wanted the ham from the teddy bear, you know!