After serving and working in the system of military missions of the Ministry of Defense of the USSR and the Russian Federation for more than 45 years and consistently occupying all officer positions from junior military representative to the head of military representation and authorized chief of armaments of the Air Force, I could not calmly look at the army general Anatoly Serdyukov and army general Nikolai Makarov attempts to collapse, as I believe, a well-established mechanism of military control over the quality of weapons and military equipment.
I am sincerely grateful to the editorial board of the Independent Military Review weekly, who considered it possible to place on the pages of her publication materials on the purposeful and systematic collapse of the military control mechanism for the quality of weapons and military equipment (NVO 26 from 31.07.09, NVN 8 from 05.03.10) and other materials. In connection with the removal from office of Serdyukov and the dismissal of Makarov and, most importantly, in connection with the appointment to the post of defense minister of a military man, Army General Sergei Shoigu appeared, it seems to me, the hope for a revival from the ashes of military missions. I want to believe that the necessary measures will be taken to ensure proper military control over the creation and production of weapons and military equipment and to recreate the prestige of service and work in the system of military missions.
HOW DESTROYED CONTROL
Beginning with 2009, the General Headquarters of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, following the instructions of the Minister of Defense of the Russian Federation, issued four directives providing for numerous organizational and staff activities at military missions, which resulted in a reduction in the number of military missions, a decrease in military quality control of military products and a fall prestige of service and work in the system of military missions.
According to the Directive 23 of March 2009 of the year No. 314 / 9 / 1000, the military missions of the first and second categories should have two officers each, the military missions of the third category - one officer each with a simultaneous reduction in the number of civilian personnel. The absurdity of the said directive was so obvious that already on March 27, that is, three days after its signing, the directive was suspended.
According to the Directive of 27 in November 2009 of the year No. 314 / 9 / 5070, official salaries were reduced at military missions and military ranks were reduced for all officer posts of military missions. It should be noted that, according to the Constitution of the Russian Federation, the publication of laws (and the directive of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation in relation to military personnel has the provision of the law) is not allowed, derogating the rights and freedoms of citizens. As a result, earlier in the Russian Federation official salaries and military ranks did not decrease, but only repeatedly increased.
According to the Directive 25 of December 2010 of the year No. 314 / 9 / 1193, all military missions were reorganized into new states with a reduction in the number of military and civilian personnel. After the implementation of this directive, the legal status of military missions changed fundamentally. The name “territorial” was added to the name of a few of them. The remaining military missions were included (in the number of 20 and more) in each of the "territorial" military missions as "structural units" and in fact lost their independence.
According to the Directive 1 of April 2011 of the year No. 314 / 9 / 1547, hundreds of military missions have been liquidated (disbanded) with military control imposed on small departments (groups) included in territorial military missions. At the same time, according to this directive, organizational measures were carried out related to the reduction of the total number of military personnel and civilian personnel of military missions and the departments (groups) included in their staff on average three times.
After the implementation of all these directives and the global reduction in the number of military personnel and civilian personnel, the fulfillment of the tasks of proper military control over the creation and production of weapons and military equipment for many military missions of the Russian Defense Ministry became simply impossible.
FOR WHOM THE ORDER IS NOT ORDER
The media (in particular, the weekly Independent Military Review) repeatedly raised the issue of the need to prevent the collapse of the military control system over the creation and production of weapons and military equipment. But the leadership of the Ministry of Defense ignored these publications.
In August 2012 of the year, Russian President Vladimir Putin, speaking at a plenary meeting of the Federation Council, said that it was necessary to go back and restore the previously existing system of military missions. According to the head of state, this will provide an opportunity to ensure effective management of the quality of military products. “As for the military acceptance, it was simply eliminated almost as a class, which is bad,” said the head of state. "It needs to be restored, because without an effective, functioning, functioning military acceptance, we will have big problems with the quality of military equipment," the president stressed. After such statements by the head of state, the article “Revival from the Ashes.” Was published in the Independent Military Review. The Ministry of Defense will return military representatives to the enterprises ”(“ NVO ”No. 28 from 03.08. 12). However, neither the “civilian” Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov, nor the chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, the “secret” hero of Russia Nikolai Makarov, took any effective measures to restore the military missions, in effect ignoring the instructions of the President.
Personally, I am not surprised by such actions of senior officials of the Ministry of Defense. After all, Serdyukov, being not only a civilian man, but not knowing, as I am sure, the process of creating and manufacturing weapons and military equipment, simply did not represent and did not understand the importance and necessity of military control. As for the chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, then, as I know for certain, Makarov, being still the first deputy minister of defense - chief of armaments, once said: “My deputy chairman will come and receive everything he needs without military representatives.”
In connection with the appointment of a military man to the post of Minister of Defense, there was hope for the restoration of effective military control at the same high level. It seems to me that the ideal solution for this would be to restore the system of military control over the development and production of military products, which acquired its final appearance and effectively operated in the Soviet Union. At that time, in each form and in most branches of the Armed Forces, there were “their” ordering directorates, “their” military missions subordinate to one or another thematic department of ordering agencies, “their own” departments (in the Air Force - service) of control and personnel of military missions.
RUSSIAN QUESTION: WHAT TO DO?
I understand that for the implementation of these proposals will require a deep study, time and "general" solution at the highest level. Therefore, the following activities would be considered the most realistic and top-priority.
1. Recognition of the erroneous publication and implementation of the directives of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.
2. Restoration, as was the case before, of independent military missions in design bureaus (research institutes) developing weapons and military equipment, and at industrial enterprises manufacturing weapons and equipment instead of departments (groups) belonging to territorial military missions.
3. Renaming of territorial military missions to military missions with the exclusion of divisions (groups) from their staffs.
4. Increase in the number of military personnel and civilian personnel of military missions to the level that existed before, within the limits of the number established by presidential decree of 22 of April 2011 of the year No. 504.
5. The resumption of the practice of dislocation at enterprises - co-executives of branches of military missions with submission to their head military representation.
6. Consideration of the need for the deployment of military missions in enterprises engaged in the repair of weapons and military equipment, primarily in aircraft repair enterprises.
7. Raising military ranks for officer positions, primarily for positions of heads of military missions. I propose to establish the following military ranks for the heads of military missions (by analogy with the previously existing ones):
- for the chiefs of the head military missions of the first category - “colonel”;
- for other heads of military missions of the first category and heads of military missions of the second category - “lieutenant colonel”;
- for the commanders of the third category military missions - “Major”
8. Recognition of the inexpedient appointment of officers to military offices of civilians, whose work will be regulated by the Labor Code of the Russian Federation. The presence in the military missions of military personnel guarantees the stability of the military team and continuity in their activities.
9. The resumption of the practice of concluding contracts with the most deserving officers of military missions after they reach the age limit in military service. To consider the long-term service of military personnel in one military representation as a positive factor.
10. Appointment to the post of head of the Office of Military Missions only on a competitive basis, as a rule, from among the most worthy heads of the head military missions stationed in design bureaus, developing weapons and military equipment complexes, and at the head enterprises of the industry manufacturing these complexes.
11. Consideration of the possibility of establishing tariff discharges for posts of military personnel of military missions in amounts that were in force until the implementation of the above directives of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.
12. The decision in the coming months to increase the salaries of the civilian personnel of military missions in order to preserve stable labor collectives. At present, the civilian personnel of military missions receives less than employees of the technical control departments of enterprises. After a significant increase in the salaries of military personnel from 1 in January 2012, the salary of even the leading specialist of the first category military office (the “highest” position for civilian personnel), who has accumulated many years of experience, was two times less than who knows the basics of military knowledge. The low salaries of the civilian personnel of military missions are the main cause of staff turnover and the lack of candidates for employment.
13. Inclusion in the duties of military missions is the consideration and coordination by them, if necessary, and under special instructions only of the labor intensity of the development and manufacture of controlled military products. I believe that it is unrealistic to demand that military missions review and agree on the cost of developing and manufacturing controlled military products in a market economy (that is, in the absence of list prices, including materials, purchased products).
I would like to hope that the Ministry of Defense will listen to these proposals and take measures to ensure proper military control over the creation and production of weapons and military equipment.
After the fracture test. Military missions must be returned to production
- Nikolai Sergeevich Tarkhov