How the grave of the triumphant Chesma was robbed

9
How the grave of the triumphant Chesma was robbed


The winners are not judged and... not remembered?


Russian admiral Grigory Andreevich Spiridov. Hero of the Battle of Chesma, after which almost the entire enemy fleet found itself at the bottom of the Turkish bay. Russian naval commanders, ship captains, sailors and soldiers of the landing battalions that summer of 1770 celebrated the most triumphant victory in stories domestic fleet.



The Turks lost 11 thousand then, we lost only 11 people. Eternal memory to the Russian fallen heroes!


Returning to Russia a few years later, Admiral Spiridov was extremely disappointed. After all, the laurels of that victorious battle went not to him and all those who valiantly and courageously fought the Turks, but to Count Alexei Orlov, who was awarded the highest praises from Empress Catherine II.

From now on he began to be called Count Orlov-Chesmensky. And for a long time, Russian historians vying with each other did not tire of glorifying this noble intriguer, the brother of the empress’s favorite.

And Grigory Andreevich was given an award, money and given an estate in the village of Nagorye on Yaroslavl land, where he lived out his last years. He became a master, built at his own expense, together with his outstanding sons, the Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord, where he was buried in one of its chapels.


And then he was forgotten for a long time by Russia, whose glory he brought to the whole world.

To be honest, even today that temple is not at all in its original attractive form. Much in it still needs to be brought to perfection, restored, transformed, so that we can say that everything here is as it should be.

Russia simply does not have the funds for this! That's why he is what he is. And this is our whole conscience! True, Spiridov himself has been increasingly mentioned for many years at annual naval parades in St. Petersburg and even called the first. And after him - Ushakov, Nakhimov, Lazarev, and other eminent Russian naval commanders.

I think that this is correct, as it should be, although there are not many monuments to Grigory Andreevich in Rus' - only three - in the village of Nagorye, in Kronstadt and in Murmansk. And the street named in his honor is only the only one - all in the same Highlands.



Fortunately, Admiral Nikolai Gerasimovich Kuznetsov and Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin became involved in this in the spring of 1944. This year, two layers of fresh asphalt were laid on it. Well, at least they took care of it somehow.

And only a small group of enthusiasts is engaged in the return of Grigory Andreevich himself from oblivion. Without special funds. Everything is basically built on human enthusiasm, selflessness and conscience. It was they who managed to obtain some archival documents that testify to how the grave of the great Russian Hero was plundered in the thirties of the last century.

From archives and words


So, on the basis of a rare report, we verify that in the fall of 1957, the director of the Pereslavl Museum of Local Lore, K. Ivanov, at the request of the head of the museum department of the Ministry of Culture of the RSFSR, A. S. Khanukov, went to the Nagoryevsky district. In order to establish the remains of Admiral Grigory Andreevich Spiridov.

On the spot, he sees that the temple, erected with funds from the admiral and his sons in 1783–1787, by that time was used exclusively as a collective farm warehouse and was in an extremely neglected state. K. Ivanov did not find any traces of any repairs, but only stated that “The church itself is no longer domed, the spire with a cross on the bell tower is also missing, the roof is raised and caved in in places, the windows are without glazing.”

At his request, the chairman of the executive committee of the regional Council of Workers' Deputies, I.V. Sobolev, invites local citizens who were in some way involved in the opening of the admiral's grave in 1931.


What follows are the stories of participants and eyewitnesses given by K. Ivanov.

“The first to take the floor was tractor driver foreman Nikolai Ivanovich Skorasov. He remembered that in the thirties the Nagoryevskaya tractor station was organized in the village. One summer day he drove a tractor into the church, which at that time housed MTS.

While turning around on the tractor, the man suddenly felt that one of the wheels had fallen through. At that time, the floor in this aisle was still covered with cast iron slabs. So one of the slabs collapsed, and there was a depression under it.

It is necessary to clarify that there was previously a metal fence here. On one of the walls hung an admiral's cap, an icon and a lamp with it, which was lit during services.

Further, as Nikolai Ivanovich testifies, a representative of the OGPU came from Pereslavl Zalessky and invited him to go down to the crypt and remove the existing valuables. Through a narrow opening he made his way into the crypt.

A large coffin appeared before his eyes, in which a slightly smaller house made of boards was placed. Her arms fell off. The admiral's dagger, a large silver tray and a porcelain cup that he discovered were raised upstairs. Then it was the turn to the coffin itself.

The wooden house was barbarously split with a cleaver, human skeletal bones, the decayed remains of a dark blue uniform and also St. Andrew’s ribbon were removed.”


...And thrown into the crypt


According to K. Ivanov, similar memories “The head of the district social security department, Stepan Andreevich Brunov, and the director of the Nagoryevsk secondary school, Pavel Ivanovich Ivanov, were also present at the meeting.

All eyewitnesses confirmed that after examining the contents of the coffin, they did not begin to carry out any ceremonial burial of the admiral’s remains. Everything that was taken out, except, of course, for some valuable things, was simply raked up and thrown into the opening.”


The document says so: “...thrown into the crypt.”

“Then the opening was covered with earth, scrap metal and debris. All metal plates were later removed. Instead, they built a plank floor from unplaned boards.

Eyewitnesses also recalled that the crypt measured 2 meters long, 1,5 meters wide and 2,5 meters high.

In the same autumn of 1957, an attempt was made to dig up the crypt. The wooden flooring was removed. Next came earth, scrap metal, and garbage.

They didn’t do anything else then. They simply postponed the cleaning of the crypt until next year, because up to 12 cubic meters of soil had to be removed, as well as everything else.”


This is where the director of the museum, K. Ivanov, ends his story.


It only remains to add that the temple was partially restored in the 90s of the last century. Then the admiral’s grave was brought into proper condition. However, the restoration there was not carried out very skillfully, which is why the roof began to leak in some places, which resulted in the destruction of the brickwork of the walls.

Yes, which is very significant, one of the church aisles was never repaired. It is still the same as it was in those distant thirties - shabby, dilapidated and ancient. No, this is not what Admiral Spiridov dreamed of when he, together with his legendary sons, built such a wonderful structure on Russian soil in the XNUMXth century.

Military officials of the Ministry of Defense and the Main Command of the Russian Navy do not spoil this temple with their visits. Over the years, only last summer, representatives of the Maritime Assembly of St. Petersburg visited here. I won’t hide that a lot of things surprised them and, frankly, disappointed them.


This is how we relate to our history. It’s painful, no, even scary to see this. This is our pain. Russian, hard-hitting reality. For some reason we don’t pay attention to it at all. That's how it is. Only local people go to the temple and attend services, which are regularly conducted by the rector, Father Ilya.

On the Day of Military Glory of Russia - Victory of the Russian army in the Battle of Chesma, everyone who honors and remembers the great naval commander gathers at the Nagoryevsky Church for a prayer service at the admiral’s grave.

And that's all we really have for now. To date. And how to evaluate this, judge for yourself. Truly they say that when we have, we do not keep, and when we lose, we cry.
9 comments
Information
Dear reader, to leave comments on the publication, you must sign in.
  1. +16
    17 September 2023 05: 38
    And how to evaluate this, judge for yourself. Truly they say that when we have, we do not keep, and when we lose, we cry.
    But a pantheon was erected for the traitor and drunkard Yeltsin...
    1. +14
      17 September 2023 06: 53
      Quote: Good
      But a pantheon was erected for the traitor and drunkard Yeltsin...

      Yes, and Ataman Krasnov was not forgotten by the Italian invaders, but we don’t remember our own and don’t want to remember. How will we continue to live when children and grandchildren do not remember their grandfathers and fathers? And they simply won’t let you remember.
  2. +11
    17 September 2023 07: 35
    A German will build a barracks, a Frenchman will build a salon, an Englishman will build a factory, and a Russian will build a temple! And therefore, when in the temple, knowing that there was also the grave of the great Russian naval commander-hero, they made a machine-tractor station and rode along this grave on tractors, it would have been better if this temple before it was turned into an MTS, they would have simply blown up and destroyed it one moment. So the mockery of both the temple and Admiral Spiridov and Russia and Orthodoxy and the Russian people would be less and it would last only for one moment... . And MTS existed there for several years. And all this time, the hero’s grave and the temple were officially and legally desecrated!!! And we were also surprised that in 1812 the French built stables in the churches of the Moscow Kremlin over the graves of the Grand Dukes! But at least it didn’t last long.
    But another hero, the commander of the legendary "Mercury" Kazarsky, was even less lucky. The tsarist government even allowed Spiridov to die a natural death and be buried in a temple built at his own expense. And Kazarsky was poisoned for his integrity and integrity. The graves of heroes and temples must be restored! But... if the ship has already been named in honor of Chernomyrdin, then one should not be surprised if it is also named in honor of Yeltsin, because the honor of Spiridov was not put in this queue. Or maybe right. The admiral would turn over in his grave at such an “honor” to be in the same rank as the traitors to Russia.
    1. +8
      17 September 2023 16: 14
      No need to get excited. You just have to think that the local peasants simply didn’t know who it was or what it was. Maybe even at that time they were not very literate. And the “love” for the royal authorities was fierce. It was necessary to teach literacy and history back in the 19th century. Deal with people more or less humanely. Maybe they wouldn’t have demolished temples and everything else. Some of them still had scars on their backs from the Lord’s generosity.
  3. -1
    17 September 2023 10: 08
    instead of new-built churches, let Gundyaev take care of restoring old ones that have historical and artistic value
    1. +2
      17 September 2023 16: 52
      Quote: Ryaruav
      instead of new-built churches, let Gundyaev take care of restoring old ones that have historical and artistic value

      Patriarch of Moscow and All Rus' Kirill (in the world Vladimir Mikhailovich Gundyaev) is definitely no match for you, and if you have complaints against the Orthodox Church, at least take an interest in the history of the existence of the Orthodox Church in the USSR and those who destroyed and desecrated churches.

      If we make complaints today about the state of churches, then probably such questions should first of all be raised with the leadership of Russia, as the legal successor of the USSR, and with the leadership of the Communist Party of the Russian Federation, as the legal successor of the CPSU.
      1. 0
        17 September 2023 20: 24
        The legal successor of the CPSU is in fact not the Communist Party of the Russian Federation, but the United Russia. Which is “leading and directing”, and the faces in it are familiar - entirely “faithful Leninists” and “Bolsheviks”.
  4. +1
    29 October 2023 19: 10
    The Turks lost 11 thousand then, we lost only 11 people.

    And where did they put the entire dead crew of the St. Eustathius, numbering 600 people? It was Sviridov’s own flagship, from which he managed to escape when the fire started. Isn't this a loss?
    How long can you post nonsense?
  5. +2
    7 November 2023 08: 37
    The constant rewriting of historical textbooks apparently has little in common with real people's historical memory.

    As far as I remember, the Battle of Chesma is our largest victory at sea in the entire history of the Navy. Perhaps this is our only victory, which ended in the destruction of the entire enemy fleet, and with even smaller forces.

    For the sake of truth, it must be said that the combined fleet of two squadrons, as far as I remember reading earlier, was commanded by Orlov, and Spiridov commanded one of the squadrons.