These are ships of the skeg type (air cushion), in fact - catamarans with two narrow hulls and a very wide deck. They have unique shipbuilding qualities - this is the hydrodynamic platform’s transformability and multi-variant - 36 use cases for propulsion systems.
On the one hand, the ship is a catamaran with a speed range up to 20 knots, on the other hand, a high-speed hovercraft with a maximum speed of up to 55 knots, which allows the ship not to get into the seizure of homing missiles, and also to move faster than the fired torpedo.
Thanks to the Mosquito anti-ship missile system made of 8 missiles, these ships are the best strike ships for non-freezing closed sea theaters of action.
Today we will visit one of these unusual warships - "Samum", tail number 616.
3. The hovercraft (RKVP, project 1239) was created as a development of the small rocket ships 1234 and 12341 already existing in the fleets of the Soviet Union. The experience of using these ships in combat services in the Mediterranean has shown that ships of this dimension and classical formations are limited in location weapons. The catamaran of the project 1239 has a large deck, which allows to solve this problem, more comfortable conditions for the use of weapons and crew accommodation. In addition, it has a high seaworthiness. When creating the RVCP, the experience of the TsMKB Almaz and the shipbuilding industry, acquired during the construction of airborne assault ships such as Jayran, Zubr, etc., was also widely used.
4. The first missile hovercraft of this project was RKVP "Bora", laid in 1984 on the stocks of the shipyard "Red Metalist" in Zelenodolsk near Kazan. In September, 1991 was laid the second ship of this series - "Samum". It was launched on 12.10.1992.
NATO-all classification of ships of this type - "BORA CLASS"
5. After construction, Samum was transferred by inland waterways to the Black Sea, arriving in November 1992 in Kerch, and in March 1993 in Sevastopol. Then the ship was again sent to the construction plant, in October 1993 arrived in Zelenodolsk. In September, 1994 passed through the inland waterways to the Baltic Sea, and since December 1996 has passed state tests in Baltiysk. 26.02.2000 was officially put into operation. It was part of the Baltic Fleet's 36 Brigade. In 2002, this RVCP was relocated from the Baltic to the Black Sea Fleet, becoming part of the 41-th Separate Brigade of Black Sea Fleet missile boats.
6. The ship consists of two narrow hulls, covered with a platform 64 m length and 18 m width. Elastic screen in front
7. Two quadruple launchers of the Mosquito anti-ship missile system (8 3М80 missiles), the Osa-M anti-aircraft missile system (20 missiles), one 76-mm AK-176 gun set, two 30-mm gun units are used as weapons on the ship. AK-630
8. The AK-176 caliber 76,2-mm artillery gun mounted on the tank (bow) of the ship is a powerful and at the same time light universal automatic gun mount for arming small ships and boats. Its main purpose - the fight with low-flying cruise missiles such as "Harpoon" and "Tomahawk."
9. On the sides of the “Samum” there are two quadruple installations of the Mosquito anti-ship missile system.
This complex uses cruise missiles 3М-80, which are designed to defeat surface ships and transports from the composition of the shipboard strike groups, amphibious units, convoys and single ships. The 4 ton rocket has a length of almost 10 meters and a range of up to 90 km.
After launch, the rocket makes a “slide”, and then decreases to a mid-flight flight height of about 20 meters, when approaching the target, it drops to 7 meters (above the wave crest). The rocket can perform intensive anti-aircraft maneuvers with overloads exceeding 10 units. Due to the huge kinetic energy and its semi-armored warhead, the Mosquito pierces the hull of any ship and explodes inside.
10. The 6 artillery 30-mm artillery gun AK-630 mm is a vehicle self-defense weapon and can be used to hit air targets at a slant range to 4000 m and light enemy surface forces at distances to 5000 m.
This gun mount has a very high rate of fire (up to 5000 rounds per minute) and a projectile range of up to 8 km.
11. Samum is equipped with two X-NUMX-mm PK-82 shipborne interference systems. They are intended for setting radar and optical-electronic diverting false targets to counter guided weapons with radar and optical-electronic guidance systems.
12. Mine of the Osa-MA anti-aircraft missile system. The complex is designed to protect against air targets, as well as for firing at surface targets.
13. Two gas turbine units with a capacity of 36 thousand horsepower each provide an air cushion stroke.
Having said that, having two separate propulsion and full propulsion systems capable of operating separately and jointly, the ship can move in three main modes (catamaran, air cushion boat-1 and -2), which provides almost one hundred percent guarantee of progress any situation.
14. If it is necessary to move on an air cushion, in the aft part of the ship two columns are lowered with tandem screws mounted on them.
The engines of the ship allow speeding up to 55 nodes, even at wave heights of 2 m, and with 5 points (3,5 wave m) - more than 40 nodes
15. Radar system
17. View of the stern of the rocket ship with raised screw columns and the OSA-MA mine
18. The bridge. From here, the ship is controlled during the cruise.
20. A look at the opposite shore. Houses in Appolonovka
22. Get down into the depths of "Samum". Here are narrow corridors and cable harnesses
23. "Post Office" ship.
24. Kubrick, where the ship crew lives
25. Drinking water tank in a residential cockpit
26. Dining team. Preparing for dinner
27. Engine room
28. The general propulsion system of the ship consists of two gas-turbine installations МХNUMX-10 according to 1 hp. (on tandem screws, in lowered columns) ...
29. ... two M-511A diesel engines for 20000 hp (on 2 propellers) ...
30. ... and two diesel engines M-504 6600 hp (for blower fans)
31. The total engine power exceeds 120 thousand hp.
32. Automatic deck fire extinguishing system during the shooting of cruise missiles
33. Life threatening ....
34. Infinite maze of valves and supply tubes
35. Wedges for emergency repair in the event of a ship getting holes during the battle
36. Post energy and vitality. From here, the power plant of the ship is controlled, the speed is adjusted, etc.
37. All surveillance cameras installed on the ship are also displayed here.
38. Rocket ship "Samum" on a parade during the celebration of the Navy Day in 2012
This report was prepared with the assistance of the Black Sea Fleet Command of the Russian Federation.