Soviet armored car BA-10 with a 45-mm "tank" gun
In 1936, when the Soviet medium wheeled armored car BA-6 just went into production, experts began to think about its modernization. We needed a more protected (in terms of the crew) machine that could help in the performance of combat missions in difficult sectors of the front. A year or two later, the designers of the Izhora plant developed another wheeled armored car - BA-10.
The BA-10 was created on the basis of the GAZ-AAA truck, initially like the BA-6, but with a reinforced front axle beam and a shortened frame.
The production of "dozens" was carried out for a very short period - from 1938 to 1941. However, their operation (and the BA-10 was produced more than 3 thousand units) continued until the end of the Great Patriotic War.
The BA-10 armored vehicle was equipped with a 45-mm cannon with a factory index of 20K, created at the Kalinin plant in Moscow. It was originally developed as a purely tank, but then the designers decided to equip wheeled armored vehicles with it.
One of the main drawbacks of the BA-10, which passed to the armored vehicle "inherited" from the previous versions of wheeled armored vehicles, was that it was disabled if it hit the front part - where the engine was located. Therefore, in frontal attacks, the use of BA-10 was fraught with the loss of a large number of such armored vehicles. The crew was often left without a car as such, turning into infantry in the middle of the battlefield.
The features of the BA-10 are described in the video on the Starina channel:
Subscribe and stay up to date with the latest news and the most important events of the day.