Today, however, in Ukraine there are only two experienced vehicles BTR-4. It is assumed that a small batch of BTR-4 in the number of 10 units by the end of the year will go to the 13-th separate air-mobile battalion, which is part of the air-mobile troops, located in the city of Zhytomyr.
The adoption of the BTR-4 export model (exactly the same model was delivered to Iraq under the contract signed in 2010) for the armament of the Ukrainian army leads to disappointing conclusions. The BTR-4 lacks the strength or the means, because, in fact, the BTR-4 was created with Iraqi money. The armored transporter is taken up with identified deficiencies, which are very well known in the Ministry of Defense - insufficient mine protection. Another option is a pre-election gesture, and the armored personnel carriers are awaiting the fate of the “Strongholds”, which, incidentally, were also ten units.
I am glad, of course, that the new equipment still goes to the army of Ukraine. The BTR-4E is equipped with a 3TD diesel engine. Of the weapons, we note the combat module BM-7M "Parus". It is expected soon to be adopted by the next modification of the BTR-4 - BTR-4M. He will receive enhanced protection and the German engine "Deutz".
Hoping for an optimistic future BTR-4 gives an agreement on the production of armored personnel carriers, concluded between Ukraine and Kazakhstan. The main armament of Ukrainian-made armored personnel carriers:
- automatic 30 mm gun 3ТМ-1, created at the Kamenetz-Podolsk plant of fine mechanics;
- ATGM created by the Kiev Luch Design Bureau;
- grenade launcher KBA-117, created in KB "Artillery armament";
- a machine gun created at the Mayak plant in Kiev.
Device and design BTR-4
Layout armored transporter:
- management department - performed in the forward part of the hull;
- MTO - performed in the middle part of the body;
- fighting compartment - made in the aft hull;
- troop compartment - made in the aft hull;
The location of the combat compartment and the troop compartment allowed to create a whole family of vehicles without changes in the layout, logistics and chassis. Capacity - 10 man, of which 3 man - the crew of the car: the commander of the car, the gunner and the driver-mechanic, 7 man - infantry.
On the basis of the BTR-4 created the following modifications:
- the base model - BTR-4;
- commander machine - BTR-4K;
- command and staff vehicle - BTR-4KSH;
- evacuation sanitary armored vehicle - BSEM-4K;
- reconnaissance vehicle - BRM-4K;
- evacuation repair machine - BREM-4;
- fire support vehicle - MOP-4K;
- export model BTR-4E;
- export model BTR-4K - BTR-4KE;
- export model BTR-4KSH - BTR-4KSHE;
- export model BSEM-4K - BSEM-4Е;
- export model BREM-4 - BREM-4.
BTR-4 can be armed with the following combat modules:
- BM "Thunder" consists of one automatic 30 mm gun, one 7.62 mm machine gun, one automatic grenade launcher and anti-tank missile complex "Barrier";
- BM "Squall" consists of one automatic 30 mm gun, one 7.62 mm machine gun, one 30 mm automatic grenade launcher and anti-tank missile system "Barrier" (or 2-4 anti-tank rocket launchers);
- BM "BAU-23" consists of two automatic 23 mm guns and a machine gun 7.62 mm;
- BM “Parus” (BM-7) - consists of one 30 mm KBA-1 cannon, one automatic 30 mm grenade launcher, one 7.62 mm machine gun and Barrier ATGM
- weight 21.9 tons;
- wheel formula - 8X8;
- release - from 2008 year;
- length - 7.6 meter;
- width - 2.9 meters;
- height - 2.8 meters;
- ground clearance - 46 centimeters;
- armor - anti-bullet and fragmentation;
- engine power - HP 442 / 489;
- maximum speed up to 110 km / h (on the water - 10 km / h);
- range - 690 kilometers;
- obstacle to be overcome: rise to 30 degrees, height to 50 centimeters; width up to 2 meters;
- Equipment: optical-television system with a laser rangefinder.