The SU-100 anti-tank self-propelled artillery mount was created on the basis of the medium tank T-34-85 design office of Uralmashzavod in late 1943 - early 1944 and was a further development of the SU-85. By that time, it had already become clear that the 85-mm SU-85 gun was not a worthy rival in the fight against German heavy tanks.
SU-100 and SU-85. The external difference in the commander’s cupola
The serial production of the SU-100 was launched at Uralmashzavod in August 1944 of the year and continued until the beginning of the 1948 year. In addition, in 1951-1956, the production of self-propelled guns under license was carried out in Czechoslovakia. In total in the USSR and Czechoslovakia 4976 SU-100 was released.
The first combat use of the SU-100 took place in January of the 1945 year in Hungary, and later on the SU-100 was used in a number of operations of the Great Patriotic and Soviet-Japanese War, but in general their combat use was limited. Just "did not have time to go to war", as the same EC-3.
After the war, the SU-100 was repeatedly modernized and remained in service with the Soviet Army for several decades. SU-100 was also supplied to the allies of the USSR and participated in a number of post-war local conflicts, including the most actively during the Arab-Israeli wars.
History self-propelled guns could be somewhat different, by the way. When in the 1943 year a GKO order was issued on the early creation of more effective anti-tank weapons, Uralmashzavod was, among a number of other SAUs based on T-34, the installation of the 122-mm D-25 gun in the somewhat modified SU-85 case.
The project was abandoned, and not only because of the mass of the machine that has increased by almost 3 tons. Frankly weak was the T-34 chassis. We decided to leave the chassis, but look towards the projects with a smaller caliber cannon and an increased conning tower.
As a result, a new combat vehicle was created on the basis of the units of the T-34-85 tank and SAU SU-85. The engine, transmission and chassis remained completely the same. Since the D-10С (self-propelled) mounted gun was heavier than the 85-mm gun, we had to increase the suspension of the front rollers by increasing the diameter of the springs from 30 to 34 mm.
The body of the SU-85 has undergone few, but very important changes: frontal armor increased from 45 to 75 mm, introduced a commander's turret and viewing devices such as MK-IV, copied from English samples, installed two fans for intensive cleaning of the fighting compartment from the powder gases instead one.
The gun ammunition consisted of 33 shots placed on racks in the rear (8) and from the left side (17) of the fighting compartment, as well as on the floor to the right of the gun (8).
The range of ammunition for the D-10C turned out to be extremely diverse:
UBR-412 - unitary cartridge with an armor-piercing tracer sharp-headed projectile BR-412 and fuse MD-8.
UBR-412B - unitary cartridge with an armor-piercing tracer blind-headed projectile BR-412B and fuse MD-8.
UO-412 is a unitary cartridge with an O-412 fragmentation grenade and an RGM fuse.
УОФ-412 - unitary cartridge with high-explosive fragmentation grenade OF-412 and fuse RGM.
УОФ-412У - unitary cartridge with a high-explosive fragmentation grenade OF-412 with a reduced charge and fuse RGM.
UD-412 - unitary smoke shot with weight 30,1 kg with fuses РГМ, РГМ-6, В-429.
UD-412U - unitary smoke shot with a mass of 30,1 kg with a B-429 fuse.
UBR-421D - unitary cartridge with an armor-piercing tracer with a ballistic armor-piercing tip BR-412D.
UBK9 - unitary cartridge with a cumulative projectile BK5M.
Unitary cartridge with armor-piercing sabot projectile.
The last three types of shells appeared in the Su-100 ammunition only after the war ended, so that after 1945, the standard equipment included 16 high-explosive fragmentation, 10 armor-piercing and 7 cumulative shots.
Here it is quite possible to speculate that the SU-100 was more a universal assault weapon than a specialized anti-tank tool, if we proceed from the layout of ammunition.
Additionally, two 7,62-mm PPSh submachine gun with 1420 rounds of ammunition (20 disks), 4 anti-tank grenades and 24 hand grenades F-1 fit in the fighting compartment.
For setting the smoke screen on the battlefield at the stern of the machine, two smoke bollies of MDSh were installed, the ignition of which was performed by the loader by turning on two toggle switches on the MDS panel mounted on the motor partition.
Observation devices were few, but very well placed on the body of self-propelled guns. The driver in the stowed position drove the car with an open hatch, and in the battle used optical viewing instruments with armor covers.
In the commander's turret, located on the starboard side, there were five viewing targets with bulletproof glass. On the roof was mounted surveillance device MK-4.
Crew, prs: 4
Combat weight, t: 31,6
Length, m: 9,45
Width, m: 3
Height, m: 2,24
Armament: X-NUMX mm D-100 gun
Ammunition: 33 shot
Engine: B-2-34M power 520 hp
Maximum speed km / h: 50
Power reserve, km: 310
gun mask - 110
forehead felling - 75
body shell - 45
hull board - 45
Hull Feed - 40
bottom - 15
roof - 20
Department of Management was located in the bow of the ACS. It housed the driver's seat, the gearbox linkage, the levers and pedals of the control drives, instrumentation, two compressed air cylinders, front fuel tanks, part of the ammunition kit and spare parts, TPU apparatus.
The fighting compartment was located in the middle part of the corps behind the control compartment. It housed weapons with sights, the main part of the ammunition, a radio station, two TPU vehicles and part of spare parts. To the right of the gun was the seat of the commander, behind him - the loader's seat, to the left of the gun - the gunner's seat. In the roof of the fighting compartment under two armored caps, two exhaust fans were attached.
SU-100, without a doubt, is the most successful and most powerful Soviet anti-tank ACS of the period of the Great Patriotic War. Being on 15 tons is lighter than the Yagdpanther German self-propelled guns identical to those of the layout and designation, the SU-100 had similar armor protection and better mobility.
The initial speed of an armor-piercing projectile 88-mm German cannon Cancer 43 / 3 with a barrel length 71 caliber was 1000 m / s. Her ammunition (57 shots) was more than the D-10C. The use by the Germans of the PzGr 39 / 43 armor-piercing projectile with armor-piercing and ballistic tips provided the “Yagdpanthers” cannon with better armor penetration at long distances. We have a similar projectile, the BR-XNUMHD, appeared only after the war.
Unlike the German SAU, in the ammunition SU-100 there were no sabot and cumulative projectiles. The high-explosive action of the 100-mm high-explosive fragmentation projectile was naturally higher than that of the 88-mm. In general, these two best self-propelled averages of the Second World War did not have each other tangible advantages. Well, quantitatively, “Jagdpanther” was losing outright.
But the comparison of these outstanding machines is the subject of a separate article.